Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

How to identify Mk.I, Mk.I* or Mk.II Shells?

Article about: Very new to collecting these as I am, can somebody please explain to me how to differentiate between Mk.I, Mk,I* and Mk,II shells? Also, whilst I am familiar with the manufacturer stamps, wh

Default How to identify Mk.I, Mk.I* or Mk.II Shells?

Very new to collecting these as I am, can somebody please explain to me how to differentiate between Mk.I, Mk,I* and Mk,II shells?

Also, whilst I am familiar with the manufacturer stamps, what do the other stamps mean such as the '61' and the 'I' on this?

regards

Martin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How to identify Mk.I, Mk.I* or Mk.II Shells?  

?

The 61 will be the steel batch number,it could also have been just letters. Your helmet is an Mk2, but they have carried on with the I above the 1940, whereas it should be II.
    Mk1* helmets are refurbished Mk1 helmets, mostly done 1938-39. They are stripped down to just bare metal, repainted, new Mk1/2 chin straps & lugs, & new Mk1/2 linings.
    Just below this topic is one on the Mk1*.

?

Aside from being on this forum, here's a couple of sites that will help guide you and have some nice images.

The Brodie Helmet and its derivatives - The Brodie Helmet Reference Website
    MKII Components

'Tin Hat for Tommy' is the best...or should I say only, dedicated Brodie helmet book out there.....somebody please correct me if there is a better one, it doesn't seem to be easily available in the UK though
    Amazon.com: Tin Hat For Tommy- History of the British Brodie Helmet: Prints: Posters & Prints

Steve

Two excellent links, thanks.

Martin