Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

HSDR. w/ heavy textured repaint.

Article about: 1943 dated HSDR belonging to soldier Larter, of the Royal Army Service Corps. It has an really heavy textured repaint/camo, which has come off on a part of the top through wear. Quite hard t

?

Default HSDR. w/ heavy textured repaint.

1943 dated HSDR belonging to soldier Larter, of the Royal Army Service Corps.
    It has an really heavy textured repaint/camo, which has come off on a part of the top through wear.
    Quite hard to find an used HSDR, as most that you see are in unused condition.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HSDR. w/ heavy textured repaint.   HSDR. w/ heavy textured repaint.  

HSDR. w/ heavy textured repaint.   HSDR. w/ heavy textured repaint.  

That's a very nice find!...

That's an interesting thing. I reminded me of a Swiss M48 (ex HSDR) I have with a similarly heavy coat. I had assumed mine was just a rather enthusiastically hand-applied Swiss shadow black, even though it it much heavier and grainier than other M48 or M62 I have. But now I wonder.

As you can see mine is more obviously 'Swiss' whereas yours looks a bit more like ground concrete or grit has been added to black paint. My helmet is smooth green inside whereas other M48 are smooth black (which I took for standard Swiss refurb finish) so clearly something is different to the norm. It seems rather fanciful to suppose that the Swiss just left the exterior as-is. But then again it does seem the case that some (probably very few) of the surplussed UK helmets were used straight out of the crate without much modification. In the first instance at least.