MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ID this Brodie please!!

Article about: Here is a post War Belgian for comparison.

Default ID this Brodie please!!

You all have been so helpful I am gonna keep throwing helms at you.. Can one of you help me ID this Brodie? It has almost an apple green color, somewhat reflective..it also has some hard to read letters on the rim, and a year stamp i believe on the bale rivet..see below..the strap looks almost like a piece of the standard issue.. without the springy parts..any help would be appreciated..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ID this Brodie please!!   ID this Brodie please!!  

Attached Images Attached Images ID this Brodie please!!  ID this Brodie please!!  ID this Brodie please!!  ID this Brodie please!!  ID this Brodie please!! 

Default Re: ID this Brodie please!!

Looks like a Brit MkII that was used by the post-war Dutch civil defence...the liner and the gray paint gives it away.

or post war Belgian army ...??
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

hmm.. are you all sure.. here's similar one on ebay with the same paint and straps, and the fellow says it's early war..

WWII BRITISH DOUGHBOY HELMET EARLY WWII W NETTING - eBay (item 380236181546 end time May-30-10 19:30:01 PDT)

Also I believe my helmet is stamped 1944 on the bale..is that accurate?

I forum user posted a link for me that had this info

"Source: Helmets of the First World War ©

On 11 august the War Office ordered some Type B helmets at the Ministry of Ammunition for further testing. These were 0.9 mm thick and had an apple green colour. In the first days of September they were sent to France to be used my the English soldiers. Soon the English army switched to the Type A helmet because of the stronger armour."

Is it possible my helm is one of these? And if so does that add some value?

My moneys on a British MK.11 with a MK.111 chin strap. Brit civil defence also used gray paint.

The Dutch received large amounts of British, Canadian and even some South African helmets during and after the war. In the fifties these helmets were fased out of army use and destined for CD use.

This definitly a British MkII that was issued to the Dutch Civil Defense. As was said earlier, the grayish paint and the brown liner cross straps, are a dead give away. On the strap you'll find a metric size in white or black ink. This also goes for the helmet on Ebay.

This is not a WW1 Brodie. Nor is it a Belgian produced or used helmet.

Cheers,
    Emile

I must agree with Emile.

Cheers, Ade.

I am going have to disagree that brown liner cross straps always make it dutch. Here are some pictures of my MK.11.No2 C the liner is a size 7 and quarter made by Teddy Toy co .Ltd Dagenham dated 1940 the same as the helmet. Mapuche worriers helmet liner maybe Dutch we will know when he tells us what the markings are. The chin strap still looks like a MK.111 from what I can see off it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ID this Brodie please!!   ID this Brodie please!!  

ID this Brodie please!!  

I think Joseph is correct about the British red liner cross straps.
    These red/brown straps were also used in UK CD helmets, such as the PLASFORT and the ACME and apparently the MkII destined for CD use, as is clearly shown in Joseph's example!

Still, I am convinced the helmet that Mapuche shows is a Dutch reissue. The colour of the shell is a strong indication.

A decimal size marking on the strap will give clear information as to it's provenance.

Cheers,
    Emile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast