Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Identification of Adrian Helmet

Article about: I picked up my latest auction purchase lot today... including two WW2 era steel helmets. One was this rough British Civilian Protective Helmet (shell only)... The other was a slightly tatty,

Question Identification of Adrian Helmet

I picked up my latest auction purchase lot today... including two WW2 era steel helmets.

One was this rough British Civilian Protective Helmet (shell only)...

The other was a slightly tatty, possibly over-painted, but complete (less badge) Adrian. I know nothing about these but, using the World War Helmets website, I think I have identified it as a Modele 26:

The liner is pretty 'delicate' but I managed to pop it out without damage:

There is some sort of (painted?) marking inside but I can't make out anything useful from it. Please can any Casque Adrian experts tell me more about this helmet? Have I got ID correct? Is there a way to discover its age, maker etc?

I'm not sure what I will do with this... these helmets are not really my 'thing' so I will probably sell them on. Would anyone mind giving me an indication of what this is worth?

It is a French M26 made by JAPY (from Beaucourt, eastern France) and it is a small size B, 54, 55, 56. Made in the thirties.

Due to it's condition it will not fetch a high price.

Cheers,
    Emile

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    It is a French M26 made by JAPY (from Beaucourt, eastern France) and it is a small size B, 54, 55, 56. Made in the thirties.

Due to it's condition it will not fetch a high price.

Cheers,
    Emile
    Many thanks Emile, not recognising 'JAPY' (& not being good at French!), I thought I was only seeing remnants of wording … you obviously know what you are looking at!

So, manufacturer & size are now obvious, but please can I ask how you tell it was made in the 30's? Having said collecting steel helmets is not really my 'thing', I'm always fascinated in the details of militaria... Is it just the 'window' when JAPY were making these or is there some indication in the construction?

The early combs on these helmets were made of aluminium, later these were made of steel (yours is rusted).

So I conclude it was probably made in the thirties.

The M26 in general was actually being manufactured from 1926 till the mid forties. The liner might carry a date in the form of van ink stamp on the rough side of the leather.

Cheers,
    Emile