Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm lost...

Article about: I'm literally going crazy doing research on this helmet... I recently purchased this M1 helmet in Florida...it has a front seam M1 shell and a firestone tire company standard infantry liner.

Default I'm lost...

I'm literally going crazy doing research on this helmet...
    I recently purchased this M1 helmet in Florida...it has a front seam M1 shell and a firestone tire company standard infantry liner...but the interior is dated 7 June 66...which dates it Vietnam era...does anyone know if it's a reissue WW2 liner or did the Firestone tire company produce M1 liners throughout The 50s and 60s too?? Moreover does anyone by chance know what unit crest insignia is on it...? I thought 14th ACR armored cavalry regiment...but doesn't exactly match... I'd greatly appreciate any help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I'm lost...   I'm lost...  

I'm lost...   I'm lost...  

I'm lost...   I'm lost...  

I'm lost...  

?

I had a very similar investigation recently, a bit of spare time and random 'Googling' came up with this 'Quarter Master School' unit insignia.

Quartermaster Center and School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm lost...

Steve.

Alright...thank you very much... This is by far the closest one I've seen...

Now the question remains...is the helmet liner period WW2? Does anyone have info. On the length of the Firestone tire company contract to produce M1 liners ...was it until 1945, earlier or even later?

WW2 helmets were used in Vietnam. The liner may be a WW2 issue that has had the sweat band and straps upgraded. Notice how the straps in your liner criss cross instead of come to a ring in the center? They are also green olive drab color (I forget the number) instead of the tan color you expect with WW2, and the sweat band is that orangey color you see from Vietnam. I would expect to see a rivet hole about the middle way up on the very front of the liner, which I'm not seeing here. I "think" the liner is post war made. I hate to wager a guess at the outer shell since it's not pictured here. However, if it's front seam, that's pretty much a given it's WW2 issue. Whether it's been tampered with or altered when it was reissued, that's something we'd only be able to tell with photos. But, it's likely you have a mixed parts helmet that spans multiple wars. If only it could speak.

Definitely a Vietnam era liner.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Steve, did Firestone make liners around the time of Vietnam? I don't know why I have it in my head their operations were bought out by Westinghouse. I must be thinking of another company that was bought out and, maybe it was Firestone that just stamped over the previous companies stamp on their unused inventory...

That I don't know, but the design, colour and markings - plus
    the updated nape/ neck support system shows it's from the
    date stamped. It's possible I suppose that unfinished liners
    may have been used, but it looks typical 1960's-70's
    manufacture to me.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I thank you all very much...as for the liner...I was confused because it's definitely a vietnam liner interior...because of the webbing, sweat band... Etc but the liner shell is stamped with the well known Firestone "F"... And as for the shell I'll post some pics when I get home ...thanks again

Just to add more confusion into the mix the Liner isn't a Firestone but was made by Marmac industries.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast