Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Info on helmet please -British MkII?

Article about: Hi - I've had this helmet for a while and it has puzzled me - I collect many different things - Aircraft relics, WW1 Trench Art, WW1 Poilu’s equipment, vintage aircraft etc, but it doesn’t r

?

Default Info on helmet please -British MkII?

Hi - I've had this helmet for a while and it has puzzled me - I collect many different things - Aircraft relics, WW1 Trench Art, WW1 Poilu’s equipment, vintage aircraft etc, but it doesn’t really fit in – I have a collection of WWII British Home Front memorabilia and it came with some items for this part of my collection.

The first thing I noticed was the lack of any markings whatsoever on the shell – the paint appears totally original and is not very thick, so I doubt any are hidden by this? The liner always struck me as being somewhat flimsy compared with by ARP, Fire Service etc helmets. Then there is the chinstrap with its brass buckle and homemade looking centre section?

I really would like to know more for my own interest, but will come clean and admit a colleague at work has recently asked me if I have a WWII British soldiers helmet available – it will probably be a trade, but not knowing much about it, I have no idea re value – I decided to take a closer look this evening and was surprised to find the liner is marked and dated 1941 – so that’s a step in the right direction?

Info on helmet please -British  MkII?Info on helmet please -British  MkII?Info on helmet please -British  MkII?

Default Re: Info on helmet please -British MkII?

Hi

The helmet is definitely a British Mark II. It is in fact a Mark II No 2B Helmet, which is a mild steel strip version of the Mk II made of a softer metal not suitable for miltary service, but used for Home Front applications. This is identified by the two holes drilled next to the chin strap lug. It seems all complete with the exception of the crown pad which should be attached to the inside top of the liner. I really cant see the chin strap properly, but it looks OK to me.

It is exactly what you thought, a very nice example of a British home front helmet.

Rob

Quote by Robert Ball View Post
    Hi

The helmet is definitely a British Mark II. It is in fact a Mark II No 2B Helmet, which is a mild steel strip version of the Mk II made of a softer metal not suitable for miltary service, but used for Home Front applications. This is identified by the two holes drilled next to the chin strap lug. It seems all complete with the exception of the crown pad which should be attached to the inside top of the liner. I really cant see the chin strap properly, but it looks OK to me.

It is exactly what you thought, a very nice example of a British home front helmet.

Rob
    Agree with Rob, home front helmet, not for military use.

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

A nice helmet with an interesting liner, does it say FA 1941. FA have'nt come across that maker before.
    Aaron

?

Thanks for all the info - especially Rob - very precise! Well it's not what the chap at work is after, though I doubt he would know - but that wouldn't be fair and being home-front, I am now inclined to keep it - what service would have been issued with a helmet in this colour?

Aaron - yes it is marked "F A" in two places on the liner.

Thanks again for all your replies - very much appreciated - the knowledge base on here is unbeatable!

?

Hi Nick,
    Being that colour it could have been used by the home guard because as from Jan' 41- July 41 they received 700,000 grade 2 helmets.
    If the shell is stamped it might well be under the chin strap lug.
    Aaron