Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting Indonesian Mk I Despatch Rider - Hong Kong ???

Article about: Hello gents, Just before i knew the news of my father passing 2 months ago, i got message from my friend. He got this Mk I despatch rider. After i ordered that helmet, finally i got this hel

Question Interesting Indonesian Mk I Despatch Rider - Hong Kong ???

Hello gents,

Just before i knew the news of my father passing 2 months ago, i got message from my friend. He got this Mk I despatch rider. After i ordered that helmet, finally i got this helmet yesterday.

The condition of the helmet is not perfect anymore. The stitches on some area of the liner already off. And the chinstrap already gone also the liner string too.

But interestingly, there's no british stamp on the liner. Instead this stamp found inside the liner flap.

As you can see there's 2 stamp. One is "1", i guess it's size stamp? And the other is "Han (?) Leatherware Factory Hong Kong".

So what do you think gents? Is this despatch rider helmet was british made? Or this helmet was reliner later? Or this helmet was made in hong kong??
    Also is this helmet wartime or post war made?

Hong Kong was a Britsh colony then but was occupied by Japan in 1941... Maybe the shell is stamped somewhere?

?

The construction of the liner is quite different from an British ww2 one, and even an post war one.
    No leather front crash pad, stitching is different, strap, & so on. Most likely a refurbishment at some time post war.
    Here are a few pictures of a wartime HSDR.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Indonesian Mk I Despatch Rider - Hong Kong ???   Interesting Indonesian Mk I Despatch Rider - Hong Kong ???  

Interesting Indonesian Mk I Despatch Rider - Hong Kong ???   Interesting Indonesian Mk I Despatch Rider - Hong Kong ???  

Quote by earlymb View Post
    Hong Kong was a Britsh colony then but was occupied by Japan in 1941... Maybe the shell is stamped somewhere?
    Quote by tinlid View Post
    The construction of the liner is quite different from an British ww2 one, and even an post war one.
    No leather front crash pad, stitching is different, strap, & so on. Most likely a refurbishment at some time post war.
    Here are a few pictures of a wartime HSDR.
    Thank you for the answers gents.

Is there any information about the official british helmet refurbishment in hongkong? Or this helmet was refurbished by the order of indonesian military instead?

?

A rather interesting HSDR a shame that the stamp on the leather is not dated so that one could date it as war time and or post war produced..
    I had a Mk II shown to me yesterday that I hope to add to my collection what I found rather intriguing about this particular Mk II is that the liner cross band in the dome is stamped and dated 1941 and was produced in Hong Kong so IMO there is still a possibility that the interior furniture may have been war time produced or at the very least should be looked into a little more...

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Indonesian Mk I Despatch Rider - Hong Kong ???   Interesting Indonesian Mk I Despatch Rider - Hong Kong ???  

?

Japan invaded Hong Kong in December 1941, the HSDR was not produced until mid 1942. So doubt very much it is a wartime refurbishment.

?

Good point Aaron I had it in my head for some reason that the British HSDR's first came into production in mid 41...

Regards Mark

Quote by Mark K View Post
    A rather interesting HSDR a shame that the stamp on the leather is not dated so that one could date it as war time and or post war produced..
    I had a Mk II shown to me yesterday that I hope to add to my collection what I found rather intriguing about this particular Mk II is that the liner cross band in the dome is stamped and dated 1941 and was produced in Hong Kong so IMO there is still a possibility that the interior furniture may have been war time produced or at the very least should be looked into a little more...

Regards Mark
    Quote by tinlid View Post
    Japan invaded Hong Kong in December 1941, the HSDR was not produced until mid 1942. So doubt very much it is a wartime refurbishment.
    I see.
    At least based from the stamps model (liner stamp and single digit number stamp) i guess at least we can assume the refurbishment was official whether during wartime and post war. Or even in pre-war.
    If only there's a helmet collector from hong kong maybe we can shed light of these refurbishment.
    Thank you for the reply gents.