Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting WW2 British helmet

Article about: I picked up a rather interesting helmet in an antiques shop yesterday. I saw it sitting on a shelf across the shop and immediately recognised it as being WW1. When I turned it over I saw str

Default Interesting WW2 British helmet

I picked up a rather interesting helmet in an antiques shop yesterday. I saw it sitting on a shelf across the shop and immediately recognised it as being WW1. When I turned it over I saw straight away that it had been fitted with a WW2 liner. The original WW1 chinstrap is complete and still has the piece which passes around the dome. The liner has no makers marks that I can see, but looks as though it has been in the helmet since the upgrade was carried out. I don't as a rule ask the value of militaria on here, but I would be interested to know what a modified helmet such as this would be worth? I knocked the price down to £62, but I'm still not sure if I paid over the odds!

Cheers,
    Steve.

Interesting WW2 British helmetInteresting WW2 British helmetInteresting WW2 British helmetInteresting WW2 British helmetInteresting WW2 British helmetInteresting WW2 British helmetInteresting WW2 British helmet

Nice looking helmet steve the dome fluting is very apparent im no expert value wise but i reckon you got a bargain there mate

Quote by James C View Post
    Nice looking helmet steve the dome fluting is very apparent im no expert value wise but i reckon you got a bargain there mate
    Thanks James... The Sten went yesterday, I'm not allowed to use any guns as props at the launch - so surplus to requirements! The book is out on sale. I get my complimentary copies next week.

The woman at the antiques shop told me she was an expert on militaria. Then she said she was selling a WW2 German helmet with badge on for £55. When I looked, it was a modern Italian helmet with green nylon lining.

I'd say worth every penny!...

thats a shame about the sten steve not long now till the launch oh dear sounds like that woman knew her stuff

?

The Mk1 was refurbished in the late 30's, 37 to around 1940 maybe a bit later. The original paint was stripped, liner, chin strap lugs & chin strap removed. But doesn't seem to be the case with yours, so a first for me. The rubber buffers on the liner, have they rubbed the paint on the inside of the shell, if yes, then most likely all original, if not then maybe has been put in recently.
    The shell was made by Hadfields Ltd 1916-19.
    If the liner is original to the helmet, then possibly might have been used by the home guard or at least on the home front. Value if that is the case, not as much as a standard Mk1* which are now going for over £145, this one will be up to £100.

Interesting I like Aaron have not seen one like this before, but I thought ww1 British chinstraps were made of brown leather?

Matt

The chinstrap looks as though it has been dyed black, and that looks as though it was done before the liner was put in, because the strap underneath the liner is also dyed. The retaining bolt for the liner is very small - the hole in the dome having not been enlarged. The bolt appears to have been in place for a long time - and I have no intention of trying to remove it. The rubber pads have all shrunk with age, although the two at the back (or front) have moulded themselves to the curvature of the dome. There is minimal - or no wear where they come into contact with the paint. But the dirt and general detritus all suggests the two components have been together for a very long time. I also wondered if it was Home Guard issue.

?

If your happy the two have been together since the war, & looking at the liner which maybe a private purchase one. It looks like someone either had the helmet & has put a more modern liner in (1940 more up to date than 1918) or the authorities have added the liner to the shell. But either way I think it would have been used on the home front.
    Quite an interesting one.

A good lid for that price, probably worth at least £100.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast