Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting ww2 despatch riders helmet

Article about: by Soldierblu After some thought I think it is a civvy Police Dispatch Riders helmet, At several mess dinners during the 80's I used to attend, there were civvy police in mess kit and the po

?

Default Interesting ww2 despatch riders helmet

Hi All, Despatch riders helmet with to the front DET. CMDR. 6007 ACSU. The first bit is probably detatchment commander, as for the rest? To the rear it says WORKS & BRICKS. On each side is the arm of service colour, if anyone knows what the colour stands for that would be great. When i bought the helmet i was told that war damaged buildings had to be cleared out of the way, & the bloke who owned the helmet gave the owners a chit? Anyway, also interesting is that under the paint is a red band around the helmet at the bottom, maybe military police. Also to each side also under the paint are 2 corporal stripes. Any info would be very helpfull,thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting ww2 despatch riders helmet   Interesting ww2 despatch riders helmet  

Interesting ww2 despatch riders helmet   Interesting ww2 despatch riders helmet  

Interesting ww2 despatch riders helmet  

Default Re: Interesting ww2 despatch riders helmet

Hi.

Really like this one, I've got a thing about marked lids, this one floats my boat.( not in a weird way you understand)

Sorry can't be of any help regarding the markings, but you've got a very interesting and collectable lid never the less

?

Hi gaz, thanks for that, there's some good helmet markings about 6 post down from this one. there about royal artillery. A couple are mine, do you have many british helmets? with markings, or otherwise. thanks again, Aaron.

Not really sure but most despatch riders were members of the Royal Corps of Signals, however the arm of service colour is unusual, Signals being White and Blue, ACSU, i'm not sure of but SU could be 'Signals Unit'.

SMP
    ?

Google says ASCU stands for Anti Corruption and Security Unit. I believe they had connections to the Military Police during WW2. This might be worth checking out.

?

Thanks for that steve, i will try to find out more. Aaron.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Hi gaz, thanks for that, there's some good helmet markings about 6 post down from this one. there about royal artillery. A couple are mine, do you have many british helmets? with markings, or otherwise. thanks again, Aaron.
    Hi Aaron.

I've got a few Brit helmets from Mk1 right up to Mk6 , I have a Mk 4 on the forum at the present time (RMP), and I have previously posted a Mk 2 with odd markings on the chinstrap, but I guess because I'm a new member there's not been a great deal of interest shown!
    I get a buzz when I recieve a new lid ,and discover a name , rank, S/N etc. It sort of personalises an otherwise metal object.

Cheers Mate

?

Hi Gaz, when you get something which you are pleased about, & then you find out extra information, it does give you a bit of a buzz. Don't be put off because of little feedback, keep plugging away. All the best, Aaron.

After some thought I think it is a civvy Police Dispatch Riders helmet, At several mess dinners during the 80's I used to attend, there were civvy police in mess kit and the police colours were those two shades of blue... I would also guess it was previously a military helmet pressed into postwar service by some Police Force.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Hi Gaz, when you get something which you are pleased about, & then you find out extra information, it does give you a bit of a buzz. Don't be put off because of little feedback, keep plugging away. All the best, Aaron.
    Hi
    Yeah I totally agree, and I will keeping away.

Thanks mate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast