Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Intresting 1942 dated Wolseley

Article about: I found this a most interesting pith helmet and I have seen them in this configuration before but I will be dammed if I can find the article or reference material now so I took a bit of a ch

?

Default Intresting 1942 dated Wolseley

I found this a most interesting pith helmet and I have seen them in this configuration before but I will be dammed if I can find the article or reference material now so I took a bit of a chance on this 1942 dated Wolseley last night it is sporting a type two Canadian General Service cap badge which were produced pre WW II but seen extensive service during the Second World War.
    According to the seller the sweatband is Broad Arrow marked and there are some illegible letters stamped on the underside of the sweatband as well so it is a we bit of a mystery till it arrives in the post it is good to see that for the most part the foil on the interior of the dome seems to still be intact but unfortunately the chinstrap appears to be lost to the ages.
    It apparently still bares it's manufacturers paper label on the inside and was produced by Helmets Ltd. Wheathampstead England and is so dated 1942. and is in a size“6 3/8 ” The sellers photos are not that good and seem to be a little washed out so I will post better images upon it's arrival IMO it should display rather nicely and will look rather good along side my other example thanks for looking all comments welcome.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Intresting 1942 dated Wolseley   Intresting 1942 dated Wolseley  

Attached Images Attached Images Intresting 1942 dated Wolseley 

Looks to be a classic WWII 1941-43 manufactured Wolseley, very nice and interesting with the badge. Did you find it local to you in Canada Mark? I assume the pic of a different example is the one you already own?

I have a Helmets ltd example also with the foil and dated 1941.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Intresting 1942 dated Wolseley  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Morning Jerry it was a Canadian purchase coming out of Vancouver I hate to say it but it was another E-Bay find and yes the other Wolseley pictured is the only other example that graces my collection.
    I am of the opinion it must have been white washed and badged for ceremonial purposes or was white washing a more common practice than what I assume ? it will make for an interesting research project.

Regards Mark

Interesting if you notice the example I posted by the same maker has also been whitewashed.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

I noticed that Jerry so I edited my post and rephrased the question asking if perhaps it was more common place than what I assumed thanks for your reply.

Regards Mark

Hard to comment on white washing, but for the period ceremonial use seems likely and you also see more that have not been white washed from the period, though more modern examples are only used by bands etc and are all white washed.
    Regards,

Jerry

just like the Royal Marines.