Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Last Mk II helmet purchase of 2014

Article about: 2014 was a stellar collecting year for me I was very fortunate to be able to add some very nice Canadian Mk II's to my collection through out the year and just when I thought it was over thi

?

Default Last Mk II helmet purchase of 2014

2014 was a stellar collecting year for me I was very fortunate to be able to add some very nice Canadian Mk II's to my collection through out the year and just when I thought it was over this little gem popped up I was very fortunate to have this Mk II offered to me by a friend and and fellow collector here in Canada and after a little minor negotiating over the price added it to my shelf.
    Good war time flashed examples are getting increasingly hard to find do to the small war time production numbers on Canadian Mk II helmets and the fact they were used by the Canadian Army for just abut 2 1/2 decades after war with a good many of them being repainted in the early 50's either a semi gloss and or gloss OD green as per regulations as the Canadian Military under went restructuring in 1952/1953 so any flashed examples left in Depots and or military stores that were put back into active service post war would have had there flashes obliterated .
    Consequently I was very happy to be able to add this 1942 G.S.W Mk II steel lot batch letter code A P to my collection it is sporting a very nice early hand painted flash to the Black Watch with this style of flash being a carry over from the type of flash used during the first world war it was re adopted early on in either late 1939 or early 1940 with known examples being found applied to British produced Mk II helmets alike that were used by the Canadian Black Watch that served with the BEF and took part in the Dieppe raid in August of 1942 .
    To the best of my knowledge this was the last time this variation of helmet flash and or insignia would have been used in a Theater Of Operations.
    It would have also been applied just under the shoulder titles of tunics and or BD's as seen in this configuration and was abandoned very shortly after the reconstitution of the Black Watch in England after there return from Dieppe.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Last Mk II helmet purchase of 2014   Last Mk II helmet purchase of 2014  

Last Mk II helmet purchase of 2014   Last Mk II helmet purchase of 2014  

Last Mk II helmet purchase of 2014  
    Attached Images Attached Images Last Mk II helmet purchase of 2014 
    Last edited by Mark K; 01-01-2015 at 08:11 PM.

?

Saw this this morning while trawling through MM.
    Well done.

?

Many thanks Aaron I am quite pleased to be able to add this example to my collection may I ask what MM is ?

Regards Mark

?

Military Mart, where there are about 100 dealer sites.

?

You got it Aaron dam my secret is out I wish I could have afforded the Calgary Highlanders flashed example as well.

Regards Mark

Great score Mark. I saw it on the dealers site yesterday.

He has some good stuff as you know, as we exchanged comments about some of his lids previously.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanx Jerry Geoff is one of the good guys and a true Gent to do business with
    The early hand painted flashed Canadian Mk II's in this configuration are quite rare and almost never become available for sale in the market place .

Regards Mark

Fantastic way to round off as you said Mark an impressive year to say the least,you've certainly added some top notch Lids,going to be a massive challenge this year to put serious dent in your 2014 haul,thanks for sharing you buys Mark and keep positive for 2015..........

Super looking Canadian MKII helmet Mark, a great addition to your collection. Leon.

?

Thanks Leon and Jake I still have a few Mk II's and other assorted helmets on my Radar and with any luck I can add some of them to my collection in 2015 .

Regards Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast