Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Liner treatment ?

Article about: I was wondering if you guys used anything to soften brittle helmet liners ? My MkII barn fresh helmet , has a very brittle liner that I'm hoping to soften up somehow . Any advice ? Thanks fo

CBH
    ?

Well here are a couple of shots my first attempt , which turned out great . I use another liner that was in a little better shape then the liner on the right when I started treatment , as a comparison . I also used the warm water on the support straps, worked really well to reform them as they were crushed in . Two heavy coats of Vaseline really soften it up nicely , be sure to cover both sides , and around the rim fold . I wouldn't suggest this for reactors , because of the petroleum jelly forehead .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Liner treatment ?   Liner treatment ?  

Last edited by CBH; 04-24-2016 at 05:22 PM.

CBH
    ?

I've started on another liner , Vaselined and left overnight to soak in . Going to put a couple of fresh coats on today then wipe excess off tonight . I'll post my results in a day or two .

...'should've said that they dry out again quickly, obviously, but for a short while when they're in the water you can clean them and shape them for the NEXT 70 years. 'haven't tried Vaseline tho....in sooooo many ways ;-)

CBH
    ?

Well here are a couple of before and after shots of a 1942 marked General Steel Wares helmet , farmfresh when found (dirty and dry) . I decided not to take it apart after I noticed it was named in pencil to Burgess WW F36023 . So I wanted to leave it as untouched as possible. I also fixed a dent to the rim and waxed the outside, also the chin strap is stitched without a buckle ( as found )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Liner treatment ?   Liner treatment ?  

Liner treatment ?   Liner treatment ?  

Quote by CBH View Post
    ..... waxed the outside, ....... ( as found )
    Hello CBH, what kind of wax have you used for the shell?

CBH
    ?

I believe it was a paste floor wax , I know you can get conservators wax , which I do have some somewhere but I had this at hand .
    I found it really brought back the colour to the paint , and it covers the rust , preventing its spread . Here is a side by side .

?

Hi everyone
    I've been reading this thread with interest as I have never attempted to do anything to my lids after I acquire them,not even cleaning them, I have now tried to experiment with a MK2 police helmet, I first used a mild degreaser for the shell and then clear furniture wax and I was amazed at the result, apart from a lot of dirt that came out of it ,the deep blue colour is really showing and there's also now a faint sheen to the lid,for the first couple of days you could still smell the wax but now it's gone, now I might attempt to remove the liner and do the same thing on the inside,I will also try to treat the liner as per your advise ,one thing that has to be avoided if there are dummies like me out there, not to try this wax treatment on textured lids as it will probably be murder to remove .I'm also concerned if the wax will have an adverse effect on water decals,for example NFS decals,has anyone tried this?
    Joe

CBH
    ?

I'm very glad Joe that you had good results ! The colour change doesn't show up well in photographs , but can really be seen in person . I don't have any decaled helmets but here is a WWI Brodie that I used gun oil on ( before I heard of waxing ) and to my amazement it had a painted decal on the front ( 5th Canadians ) which you could barely see before oiling . But I wouldn't think wax would hurt your decals , but I'm not sure . Here are a couple shots of my Brodie . Please keep me informed of your progress with your helmets .

I have to say I'd be nervous about putting anything onto decals but I've got no experience in that field.....I guess none of us will really know for another 70 years.......

CBH
    ?

Very true , but I think my Brodie didn't have another 70 years in it without a good oiling . Besides the decal was a surprise ! I think I began this tread and treating my helmets after I noticed some items starting to degrade in my collection , things I've had for 20+ years . This made me feel bad and I wanted to try to preserve some of the more fragile items . My next project will be a MK IV gas mask that is fused together after 50+ years hanging in an old barn , I'm hoping I can unglue the face-mask with some Vaseline and make the item more displayable . I plan on making a tread about this also . Thank you all for your comments and Happy collecting .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast