Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for some British Brodie helmet information

Article about: I recently returned from the UK and I purchased a helmet while I was there. I bought it on a bit of a whim so I didn't do any research. Now of course, I'm looking for some info. in regards t

Default Looking for some British Brodie helmet information

I recently returned from the UK and I purchased a helmet while I was there. I bought it on a bit of a whim so I didn't do any research. Now of course, I'm looking for some info. in regards to my purchase. I paid £28 by the way; I have no idea if that's a good price but I don't mind if I paid too much.

The seller labeled it as a WW 2 British Brodie helmet and that's all the info I have. I can't seem to find any markings on it.

So, my questions are:
    1. Is it really British WW2?
    2. What were the holes on the brim used for?
    3. I read about using Renaissance Wax for the shell; is this necessary (considering a container of wax costs almost what I paid for the helmet) or would another product suffice?
    4. How should I preserve the liner? (I am a teacher and I'd like to show the helmet to my students and some may put it on.)
    5. Are there any things to avoid when creating a display for the helmet? Could the lining be further damaged if I set it on the wrong mount for too long?

I'm sorry if these questions are asked ad nauseam.

Greg

?

Welcome to the forum.
    Using the search function, I found this about the holes drilled into you helmet.
    Drilled holes on MKII helmets.

The more experienced gent's on these should chime in and give you all the other answers.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thank you for the information. So, no combat for this helmet then. Glad I know.

I believe the holes indicate it was either Home Guard or general Home Front issue. I'd lean more towards Home Guard, given the paint colour.

There should be markings under the liner, on the 'plus' shaped part that adheres directly to the inside of the shell. At least that's where mine is marked. The shell stamping is usually on the rim, beside the left chinstrap buckle. They can be very faint and hard to see sometimes.

B.B.

?

Your quite welcome.
    And Yes that would be correct. There might also be a marking on the metal helmet liner bands that might have a date on it. It should be right around the top pad. I know combat helmets do but not sure about these with holes drilled.

Your faster than me BB
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Should point out that the one I'm looking at is a combat helmet, so the markings will almost certainly be different. Despite my obsession with British Home Front militaria, I have yet to purchase a Civil Defence/Home Guard helmet!

B.B.

?

A WW2 British Mk2 No.2B, made of mild steel strip, Factory finish grey. 1-4 holes in brim to donate that helmet was only to be used on the home front.
    Price was about right what you paid for it.

Thanks to everyone for the great information. I've got my first two questions answered. I suppose considering its value, I shouldn't worry too much about my other questions but if anyone has any guidance for me, I'd appreciate the information

It's a Home Front helmet...and I'd do nothing with it...other than enjoy it.

The liner will be brittle...but its 70 years old....if you're really going to use it for learning and touched by loads of folk you could "lubricate" the faux leather to make it more supple (some folk use the wax products used to re-wax waxed jackets)...but personally I wouldn't. As for the shell, it'll probably look as good as it does when you're long gone so do nothing there too.

You've got a Brit Home Front sub-standard (ballistically) helmet which could've been Blitz-used and all for £28...well done and use it to spread the word.

£28 is a bargain price, IMO. Have seen Home Front helmets on eBay with asking prices of £60-80, and those were just shells. Of course, nobody in their right mind would pay that much!

B.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast