Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M-1917A1 Helmet?

Article about: Hi guys I picked this one up yesterday at a local Antique Store. I am don't know a whole lot about these types of helmets so was wanting to get some info on them. It is marked 22C on the ins

CGR
    ?

Default M-1917A1 Helmet?

Hi guys I picked this one up yesterday at a local Antique Store. I am don't know a whole lot about these types of helmets so was wanting to get some info on them. It is marked 22C on the inside brim and has a bomb marking stamp on the inside of the helmet liner on backside of one of the fingers. From what I have read online some call this type a Transitional? This one is in really great condition, light stains in liner and some mildew. Possibly used Stateside by National Guard?
    M-1917A1 Helmet?
    M-1917A1 Helmet?
    M-1917A1 Helmet?
    M-1917A1 Helmet?
    M-1917A1 Helmet?M-1917A1 Helmet?

CGR
    ?

A few more pics. So hard to get pics of what helmets actually look like in hand.
    M-1917A1 Helmet?
    M-1917A1 Helmet?

MAP
    ?

Looks great. Paint color looks a little off but I'm suspecting that is just the photo.

There is a website that explains the markings. Don't have it with me at the moment

A must have for any US collection. These are often found in excellent condition.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

A bit of background on these "Kelly" helmets

Minty fresh U.S. M1917A1 "Kelly" Helmet

......In January 1936 the war department having dropped all previous tests on new developments for a combat Helmet chose to replace its existing M17 Helmet with a more comfortably liner and chinstrap system,this fell to McCords to carry out the work,realizing sometime around 1938 there was a serious shortfull of original M17 Helmets McCords where then instructed to produce the same M17 shell,so apart from the age differance of some 20 years the Helmets themselves were indentical.in January 1941 McCords were asked to draw from one piece Maganese steel a new concept deep pot type Helmet who's origins started back in 1919,these 200 samples passed all balistic tests and a second batch was requested in March 1941,finally in May 1941 all M17A production ceased,large scale production of this new modern pot Helmet began in June 1941.............

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

CGR
    ?

Thanks MAP! I took pics outside, inside and in a well lit room with sunlight and in each pic the helmet looked like a different color. Helmets are always tough for me to get an accurate pic how it really looks in hand. I hope its all original, been looking for a nice example for a while now.
    Thanks for the look and the info!

MAP
    ?

The last two pictures in the first post seem to be the correct color. It all looks good to me. This is a US made shell (as seen by the round rivets on the chin strap lug).

The 22C is the heat lot #. The number indicates it is a later made McCord shell

CGR
    ?

Thanks MAP, I took it outside in bright sunshine and it washed it out in the pics of those and made it look grayish.
    I called the store and got the dealers number to call and ask him about it. He is 79 and has owned it for 35 yrs. He said he started collecting 40 yrs ago and bought it from a friend back then. Said it was time to part with his Military Collectibles.
    I don't know much about these so it kind of confused me when I saw it yesterday and also the condition of it had me thinking it had possibly been repainted at some point but I don't think it has been messed with.

CGR
    ?

MAP, should the color be more of a lighter green?

MAP
    ?

To me, the color should be closest to the photo with the red background.

Check out this link. This to me is the closest match in color you will find in photos.

US M1917A1 - Brendon's Helmets

Here is a link to one I own. The exterior is painted blue (it's original) but the interior is a good match for the color just a little dirty.

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...l-harbor-3.jpg

Here is another one of mine. These are "in door" photos so not always the best for judging color. But the photo of the interior is the closest representation to it's true color. The exterior photo is a little washed out. I would call it a Green Olive.

M-1917A1 Helmet?M-1917A1 Helmet?

CGR
    ?

Thanks for the pics and link! Yep I see they are a bit lighter green. I posted it on another forum and there is concerns about having the fresh looking cork on mine as well. One poster pointed out a fingerprint in the paint to that may mean it was painted by someone at some point in the past. So confusing.
    I just took these 2 pics under regular lighting, still looks a bit darker than it should be I suppose.
    Thought I had a good one but its looking less likely.
    M-1917A1 Helmet?
    M-1917A1 Helmet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast