Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M17A McCord Helmet.

Article about: Hi guys picked up this complete M17A or Kelly Helmet sourced here in the UK.on removing it from its packaging the first thing I noticed was the sheen or glare being given off from the paint,

Default M17A McCord Helmet.

Hi guys picked up this complete M17A or Kelly Helmet sourced here in the UK.on removing it from its packaging the first thing I noticed was the sheen or glare being given off from the paint,I messaged the seller asking whether it had been repainted?the reply that was given is IMHO truthful and certainly not the usual BS,he quotes "I apply a light wax to all paint work on historical items that I own,and a leather preserver to the liner,this is common practice among many collectors and dealers,so how many members here use or do this to there historical items?also can it be removed?does it effect the value?but apart from the glare its a nice original McCord made Helmet with sand/textured olive drab paint,good canvas chinstrap and brass hardware,the liner retains its original tie string and horse hair padded cushion,was a bit disappointed as it wasn't mentioned in the listing,but hopefully will grow on me,certainly something to be aware of with future purchases.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M17A McCord Helmet.   M17A McCord Helmet.  

M17A McCord Helmet.   M17A McCord Helmet.  

M17A McCord Helmet.  

?

Never, is the simple answer for me, if selling an item it would be up to the new owner to do that if they wanted.

Well i've been on this forum over 2 years and I have never seen or heard of this practice being carried out Aaron,to say i'm a bit peeved is an understatement,in five years I've never purchased anything with any sort of coating on it,guess you take a chance sometimes on ebay,thank god I got it for a fair price.

You hear about people using Renwax on blades a lot. I've done this myself, but only to blades. Though I would expect that to be different from using it on something painted like this. I'm not sure if museums might still use Renwax on something like this.

MAP
    ?

I put nothing...ever. but I know someone who in the past has put shoe polish on lids. Have been told it comes off with soap and water....but I have no experience. Plus given the rough sanded paint of the Kelly's I would assume it would be difficult to remove. As for the liner...all I ever hear on this forum Is to do nothing. Over time it is bad for the liner...or so I hear.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

A nice helmet Jake, and I havnt heard of this bieng done to helmets before but I suppose it was the previos owners desision.

I would never apply any wax to a rough textured flat paint, it supposed to look dull , the wax or preservative may even soften the paint , I heard some collectors even oil their helmets to help prevent rust!

I once bought a helmet on ebay and when I received it, the liner had a strong odor from some type of shoe polish or leather conditioner?

I often use Renaissance Wax on painted items as it (a) gives a nice, soft sheen to the paint (which is probably how the paint looked originally anyway), (b) protects the metal against corrosion, (c) smells purdy

I work in the Museum sector and our conservators continually work to clean up, preserve and present for display all items of antiquity and this is the same approach that I tend to take. I mean, if a helmet has been laying in a pig-sty for 65+ years would you display it with the turds attached as they are 'patina' or 'history'?

Thanks for the input guys,I can see Glenn's point too regarding museum items etc,anyway took a chance today and went to town on it,and the results were quite promising,soft brush and washing up detergent,sounds harsh but it now has a much more dull look and is extremely close in shade to my McCord M1 Hawley set.