Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M17A1 Kelley

Article about: A recent acquisition from an antique store in Williamsburg, Virginia. I'm not a big US headgear collector but I do enjoy these Kelley helmets. I believe they are under appreciated :nooo: Thi

I have to admit my knowledge is also limited on them my brother had a whole collection of them with a lot of the Kelly's that one looks really nice. timothy

When the united states moved into the 1930's this ww1 throw back was still seen as the way forward for the personal headgear of the US soldier,its ballistic properties were extremely good however the balance when on the move was always going to be questioned,the search for a deep bowl shell in a two piece form was always lurking on the table, McCord Radiator was chosen to do the upgrading on these ww1 Brodies around 1937/38 .in 1940 McCords were given a brand new contract to produce from scratch some 900,000 new Brodie Helmets but by april 1941 production ceased because two hundred prototype deep bowl pots had been produced designated the TS-3 on June 9 1941 the TS-3 was renamed and the M1 was born the rest as they say is history.

?

Nice helmet indeed. Its shell is USM1917 helmet. This is interesting that its chin strap securing lugs are removed - I see it the first time.
    Piotrek

Just been browsing US ebay and found only one Kelly with its original centre padded cushion,most seem to be without them,any idea's as to why this maybe?never really took much notice until now................

Hi Jake, having owned both mint WW1 US lids and Kelly's back in the 1980's all I can say is the Kelly liner was a retrograde step. They were really uncomfortable to wear! Give me a WW1 liner any day. Sadly i sold mine back in the early 1990's.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Ade,do you ever regret selling off all your US stuff?did you not keep nothing from that era at all?must of broke your heart,it would me.......
    I cannot believe how much there asking in the states for these Lids,anything from $150 upwards,crazy collecting hits home.

?

That's a killer Kelly Todd, I really love that rough finished paint!

Brad.

Hi Jake, sadly every single US item is gone and I had a fairly big collection...

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Love the textured finish on it!...

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Jake, sadly every single US item is gone and I had a fairly big collection...

Cheers, Ade.
    I feel your pain Ade.............

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast