Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1917 Brodie, odd markings. Need help identifying.

Article about: Hello, I recently purchased a M1917 Brodie and I couldn't help but notice many odd markings on the shell after recieving it in the mail. It was hard for me to make out when I first saw it, b

Ordgar
    ?

Default M1917 Brodie, odd markings. Need help identifying.

Hello, I recently purchased a M1917 Brodie and I couldn't help but notice many odd markings on the shell after recieving it in the mail. It was hard for me to make out when I first saw it, but when photographed I noticed that the letters "LT" had been scratched out on the front of the shell. I'm guessing its either the wearer's name or rank? Imageshack - m171.jpg

A closer look reveals even more markings, including a "W". On the back, the letters "LF" are inscribed in the same matter. I'm not an expert so I'm not sure if this was common practice or not during the Great War. ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

There is also a ding on the shell, almost as if someone plinked it with a .22. I'm not sure if this was caused by a shrapnel ball or if it was used for target practice, but the impact is marked in red pencil. ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I just thought I would point that out, as I found it interesting. The liner is in fairly good condition, abiet a little shrunken. The manufacture markings are "ZF 44".

Anyway, any help in identifying these marks would be very appreciated! Thank you in advance!

-edit-. The "LT" at the end turns out to be a part of a name! "WILT" is scratched across the front of the helmet, so I know now that it is a person's name.
    Last edited by Ordgar; 01-09-2011 at 10:13 PM.

?

Default Re: M1917 Brodie, odd markings. Need help identifying.

sorry cant help with the markings but sorted the pics encase the links become invalid.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1917 Brodie, odd markings. Need help identifying.   M1917 Brodie, odd markings. Need help identifying.  

Ordgar
    ?

Default Re: M1917 Brodie, odd markings. Need help identifying.

Many thanks, I was messing with the images for a little bit and they seemed to keep breaking. Thank you for fixing them!