Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

Article about: This just arrived in the mail today. Nothing fancy. Basically a blue over painted M1917A1 Kelly helmet. I purchased this helmet from a well respected fellow collector. He purchased the helme

MAP
    ?

Default M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

This just arrived in the mail today.

Nothing fancy. Basically a blue over painted M1917A1 Kelly helmet. This is an early production example I think given the low heat lot number of 216 (I have read they go from #1 to #1917. It is marked ZD with Z being the steel supplier and D being the helmet manufacturer.

I purchased this helmet from a well respected fellow collector. He purchased the helmet directly from the widow of the vet who lived in Canada of all places. The helmet belonged to her second husband. The Vet ended the war in Germany in the post war military district government and then had a career in the US diplomatic corp.

But not all is what it seems......... as this helmet was worn on Dec 7th, 1941 at Pearl Harbor. A true piece of history.

The helmet is well marked. First with an awl or dull pencil leaving deep gouge marks. Later (Post war most likely but prior to Hawaii becoming a US State in 1959 as it says "T.H." meaning Territory of Hawaii), the vet re-inscribed the helmet will some type of felt tip pen. The liner at one point was taken out (breaking a rivet and losing the original top screw and nut) and similar information was painted in white.

As you can see the vet was Charles Morgan, and on this "Day of Infamy" he was stationed at Fort Ruger, Battery Harlowe. Fort Ruger was a coastal defense battery on the Diamond Head Crater in Oahu, Hawaii. Battery Harlow consisted of eight 12 inch mortars

Only a few photos. It was late and no daylight left.

Needless to say, I am very happy to be the caretaker of this piece of history.

Enjoy!

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor
    Last edited by MAP; 01-29-2019 at 05:56 AM. Reason: typo
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

What a great piece
    Congratulations Michael.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

what a fantastic piece of history!!!! I love an item that ‘was there’ and great documentation to back it up. I am proud for you, I believe the helmet will end up in your sons room if you do not keep an eye on it.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

As always wonderful pictures.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Thanks Greg/Marty

Just owning a piece of history from this date and place gives me goose bumps. These soldiers had a birds eye view of the events unfolding being on the top of the Diamond Head Crater. It is easy to see why he wrote all of this inside the helmet.

And yes Marty, my son was in awe also when I told him yesterday a special package was arriving. I will need to keep an eye on this one!

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

"That belongs in a museum!". Seriously though that's An amazing piece it's something you don't see really outside of a place like a museum. I'm surprised that a collector parted ways with it as its a direct link to one of the most important events in U.S. history. Its got a great home now. Did the other items surrounding come with the helmet?

MAP
    ?

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    "That belongs in a museum!". Seriously though that's An amazing piece it's something you don't see really outside of a place like a museum. I'm surprised that a collector parted ways with it as its a direct link to one of the most important events in U.S. history. Its got a great home now. Did the other items surrounding come with the helmet?
    Thanks Steve!

Yes, this very well could be in a museum and one day it just might go there. But for now, it is in the hand of a US collector that values a piece of history such as this.

The other items have no relation to the helmet but were pulled from my shelves to complement the helmet. The flag also, is the proper 48 star version.
    Last edited by MAP; 01-29-2019 at 05:46 AM.

?

The best thing about the M1917A1 Kelly helmet is the smooth and easily accessible leather liner surface conducive to writing upon. I have several with a large amount of information recorded on them.

Great helmet and provenance Michael. You may find the document below of interest, basically an after action report listing the designation and whereabouts of units, area deployed, and casualties. It's a good basis to start more in depth research.

https://www.ibiblio.org/pha/congress...ibit%20005.pdf

MAP
    ?

Quote by relicz View Post
    The best thing about the M1917A1 Kelly helmet is the smooth and easily accessible leather liner surface conducive to writing upon. I have several with a large amount of information recorded on them.

Great helmet and provenance Michael. You may find the document below of interest, basically an after action report listing the designation and whereabouts of units, area deployed, and casualties. It's a good basis to start more in depth research.

https://www.ibiblio.org/pha/congress...ibit%20005.pdf
    Thanks John, glad you like it. And a big thanks for the link. This is a great start for my research. I started doing some research prior to receiving the helmet but wasn't getting far. Just the plans of Fort Ruger. This will kick start it!

I will try to pop the chin strap bale back on. The rivet is still intact. Hopefully a soft mallet will pop it in place.

?

I love Kelly helmets, that's a great piece of history you have got there.
    The provinence is amazing, really a witness to one of the most important events in American History.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast