Become our sponsor and display your banner here

M2 D Bale???

Article about: I was given this helmet as a gift and would like your opinion on it. It looks like a M2 D Bale helmet, however, the bales lol to be repaired via brazing. I know this was a common practice fo

Default M2 D Bale???

I was given this helmet as a gift and would like your opinion on it. It looks like a M2 D Bale helmet, however, the bales look to be repaired via brazing. I know this was a common practice for a repair, but how can I tell if this is legitimate.

The lot number is 191A and it’s a front seam.

Thanks for the help,

Skyhawk. M2 D Bale???M2 D Bale???M2 D Bale???M2 D Bale???M2 D Bale???M2 D Bale???
    Last edited by Skyhawk5PT; 05-05-2019 at 02:44 AM.

It has the probably of being good, I like the dimple. The chinstraps look to have been repaired. Do you picture of the whole helmet and of the chinstraps.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Here are more picturesM2 D Bale???M2 D Bale???M2 D Bale???M2 D Bale???

Looks like this could be a good gift to have received. McCord helmet. Correct heat stamp. Early j hook. Nice dimples. Would be nice to see close pictures of the male snap on the strap and a side view of the c loop in the second picture(the one that shows the top of the feet not covered in weld). Also the distance in mm centre to centre of the wire of the c loop where it meets the welded feet.
    Any liner with it?
    Welcome to the forum
    Rod

Thanks for the info plumbob. The loop ends distance is approximately 32.5 mm. The helmet came with a liner, however, it is not correct for the helmet itself.

Do these pictures help?

M2 D Bale???M2 D Bale???M2 D Bale???M2 D Bale???

You have a 100% correct m2 d- loop helmet!!!!! As state the brass j hook with the pointed ends is correct, the heat stamp is in the range, the early brass buckle. I believe the measurement on the loop is also correct.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

I have had several helmets with repair - this looks fine. Now to find a liner! It is possible to find something correct. NH

Thanks for the feedback tank destroyer and Neil. That’s all good news.

I hope you're sending the gift-giver a nice thank you card! Super nice score, a holy grail to some collectors. Thanks for sharing!

Quinn

A very nice acquisition!
    Best regards,
    Chris

"Knowledge rests not upon truth alone, but upon error also."
    Carl Jung