Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Malta helmet camo

Article about: Glad to have been of some help.

?

Good eye Ned the bubbling under the paint and the fact that none of the original swirl camo paint is present were Red flags for me.

Regards Mark

Ned has nailed it. The rim really doesnt look right.

?

In most if not all cases of the stone wall Malta camo, the helmets would have been originally khaki green, then over painted sand colour, then the darker colour.
    Here's a few more pictures of the stone wall camo.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Malta helmet camo   Malta helmet camo  

Malta helmet camo  
    Attached Images Attached Images Malta helmet camo  Malta helmet camo 

?

Here are some updated pictures of this helmet, not sure now if it is the 4th Batt' Royal East Kents, as the service number inside would be for the Dorsets.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Malta helmet camo   Malta helmet camo  

Malta helmet camo   Malta helmet camo  

Malta helmet camo   Malta helmet camo  

Malta helmet camo  

Hi Aaron, I do not know if what I am about to say is of any use at all, but when my Granddad "hit the beach" on the 1st wave at D-Day, he landed with the Hampshire Regiment, turned out they should not have been there at all so his landing crafts compliment full of "Hamps" were instantly transferred to the Lincolnshire Regiment who were supposed to be there. My point being that his service number remained the same for the duration, even though it was not "in line" with the rest of his "new" Regiment? (if that makes any sense)! Leon.

?

Yes, plenty of sense, thanks.

?

Hi Aaron
    Regarding the net on this helmet,am I right in assuming that it's an Australian made net as it seems to be two toned in colour

?

Well I'm pretty sure it's British, but the Canadians who used two tone nets served in Italy, as this helmet probably went to Italy after Malta.
    The outside is so faded it all looks one colour, the net on the inside brim does look two tone. But if half covered sun bleaching could cause this two tone look.

?

Yes of course,thanks for the info

?

I have been in contact with the Keep in Dorchester, & they confirm that the service number 5727826 was issued to Corporal B.J.Perry.
    So is the flash for the 1st Dorsets, or as Tony R said, the 4th Batt' East Kents.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast