Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mark 1 Canadian helmet

Article about: Here is a Mark 1 British helmet issued to the Canadian medical Corp I believe. The pad in the helmet is asbestos I was informed, so should I have it removed or leave it alone.

?

Default Mark 1 Canadian helmet

Here is a Mark 1 British helmet issued to the Canadian medical Corp I believe. The pad in the helmet is asbestos I was informed, so should I have it removed or leave it alone.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mark 1 Canadian helmet   Mark 1 Canadian helmet  

Mark 1 Canadian helmet   Mark 1 Canadian helmet  

Nice lid - looks like felt in there not asbestos. If you are
    worried, spray some fixative or matt sealer on it
    - masking off surrounding areas first.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Hi Walkwolf, What is the white cloth under the brown material

It has a somewhat lighter colour than 'natural' asbestos,
    which is grey ( It could be the lighting making it appear
    white ) but if it is asbestos and it's breaking apart
    or flaking, then it could cause problems.

I didn't think asbestos was widely used
    until the 1950's.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

The material is cloth like and is as white as it appears. Its in good shape actually.

The liners you see there are asbestos blends, felt & asbestos here which is why the mothing is evident, but the bright white underlayment you can see is asbestos, colour is not indicative of the material. It would not hurt to hit it with some spray adhesive if you are concerned. But Asbestosis is a very long term chronic exposure issue, not acute. depending on your age you'd be dead of something else before mesothelioma got you. It was used widely from the mid 19th century in many industrial and manufacturing processes as a strengthening and binding agent, as well as a fire proofing agent. It was cheap, plentiful and easy to work and manipulate.

Now, the safest thing to do would be to sell it to me for my collection! You have a very nice CAMC 1st Div helmet shell.

?

Thanks asterperious, that eases my mind now, and for the info. !!

As far as asbestos goes, remember you are not the only one to be exposed to the stuff-it remains dangerous forever and there are few worse deaths than via asbestosis or mesothelioma.

Many Asbestos deaths are caused by ignorance not knowing treat it all with caution lethal stuff none is safe in whatever capacity its still asbestos.Any degrading asbestos materials need to be removed by a proffesional and all treated with caution if your unsure dont guess.

I also would never spray anything asbestos as you bill blow the minute particles airborne and they can be in this state depending on the fibre for up to six hours.Sorry to sound like an old lady but people should be aware its not scaremongering just facts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast