Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mark 4 Mk IV turtle helmet

Article about: So I was at a militaria fair today and was watching an old guy walking from stall to stall trying to sell a helmet, a gas mask and a hand pump Fire extinguisher. Everyone kept saying to him

Default Mark 4 Mk IV turtle helmet

So I was at a militaria fair today and was watching an old guy walking from stall to stall trying to sell a helmet, a gas mask and a hand pump Fire extinguisher. Everyone kept saying to him it's to new not old enough about the helmet. I don't know why but I took pity on him and asked to take a look at the helmet and saw that it had a 1972 dated liner. I automatically assumed it was a 1950's model and asked how much he was wanting for it and he said what do think it's worth. I wasn't going to low ball him so offered £25 and he chewed my arm off at this point I thought I'd been conned by a little old guy
    I got the helmet home and proceeded to take it apart and low and behold it's RO & Co stamped (Rubery Owen & Co Ltd) with a 1945 year (I don't own one by this manufacturer). The RO&Co is marked in the front inside of the helmet and not the rear inside like the BMB made versions and is very easy to see. The liner parts all matches up with the 1972 date and a CCL stamp for Charles Collett Ltd. This helmet has seen long service with the British army and has survived in very good condition. Thanks for looking guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mark 4 Mk IV turtle helmet   Mark 4 Mk IV turtle helmet  

Mark 4 Mk IV turtle helmet   Mark 4 Mk IV turtle helmet  

Mark 4 Mk IV turtle helmet   Mark 4 Mk IV turtle helmet  

A good buy Jan,
    a lovely end war MkIV shell, updated with a MkV liner, a nice ensemble and in good condition, for a helmet with a long career!

Regards
    Roberto

Well done Ian for bringing this one home to a collection where it will be appreciated and by the sounds you made the seller very happy too
    Nice find on that shell date
    Good on you
    Regards James