Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mk 3 flak helmet

Article about: Gday, I took a real punt on this one when it appeared in a local antique store......from looking at other examples online, she seems to be ok, the chin strap I think may be a replacement, it

?

Default Mk 3 flak helmet

Gday,
    I took a real punt on this one when it appeared in a local antique store......from looking at other examples online, she seems to be ok, the chin strap I think may be a replacement, it is marked "LOTO2"
    Seems to have the swivel bales on the sides, and the hinge looks correct....

Could I get some more info out of you knowledgeable folks, red flags or doubtful points.....thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk 3 flak helmet   Mk 3 flak helmet  

Mk 3 flak helmet   Mk 3 flak helmet  

Mk 3 flak helmet  

I think it's a good helmet. The chinstrap is certainly not authentic and the felt pads are missing from inside the ear flaps. I am confused about why there are no marks left by the removal of the pads- perhaps there could be some repainting?

?

Thanks mate,
    I figured the chinstrap was a replacement, and there are some marks where the felt pads were, but I agre with it being repainted...
    I've always wanted one, so even if if nots a perfect example, it will suit me as these don't seem to come up often

We could ideally do with better quality pictures, but it looks like it might have the right textured finish and it might not be repainted, especially since the liner is in such good condition.

?

I'll get some better pics of the paint in the morning for you....it does feel to have the right texture paint surface

Hi all,
    the shell and the liner are ok in my opinion, but as Douglas says, the chinstrap is a replacement, lack the felt pads and the inner ear flaps is repainted.
    Looking at the pictures it's hard to say, but it's important to check that the internal and external paint is the original "hairy" anti-static and anti-ice, I call it "peach skin".
    Another indication:the correct name is not Mk3 but only M3.

Cheers
    Roberto

?

Thanks mate,
    I'm still to get better photos of the texture on the lid, which I will do in the morning.....

I stand corrected on the M3.....I wasn't sure, so thanks for pointing that out

It is a very interesting lid, even though this example is somewhat modified, I like it

?

We're these lids used post war by anyone?

Quote by AMTG View Post
    Thanks mate,
    I'm still to get better photos of the texture on the lid, which I will do in the morning.....

I stand corrected on the M3.....I wasn't sure, so thanks for pointing that out

It is a very interesting lid, even though this example is somewhat modified, I like it
    I agree, it's a very nice helmet little know and collected, but brings with it an important story.
    Relatively to this example, it's not bad to me, I know well its configuration in the WW2 period, but not much in the next period; however I know that was used in several occasion, together with his brothers M4 and M5 until the Vietnam War, so your modified could be one of those.

Roberto

Hi, I get to see these on a semi-regular basis as I live in Norfolk UK. We had a hell of a lot of 8th USAAF bases around here, so I guess that's why they crop up. Anyway, back to your helmet! It looks like a fine air crew flak helmet to me, with a replacement strap. I think those straps were used on the M1 in the 1980's. The outside looks to have it's original paintwork, and I suspect the inner is ok as well apart from where the ear flaps have been "touched up" to mask the marks left from removing the rubber pads. A good find, Leon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast