Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mk II British Camo with a Canadian twist

Article about: I came upon this little grouping earlier in the week and thought I had better act on it before it vanished in to someone else's collection other than mine This particular BD and helmet were

?

Default Mk II British Camo with a Canadian twist

I came upon this little grouping earlier in the week and thought I had better act on it before it vanished in to someone else's collection other than mine
    This particular BD and helmet were acquired from the family of the vet the BD is attributed to the Royal Canadian Artillery 5th Light Anti Aircraft and is dated to 1943 it is sporting cloth divy's for Italy and canvas unit and Canada flashes I will post the BD up in a different thread.
    The camo painted Mk II is rather an interesting helmet there is a lot going on with it the shell is British manufactured but would appear to have a smooth finish so IMO not a standard army issued Mk II as I do believe they should be textured not as up on my Brit lids as I am on Canadian ones so hopefully someone can set me straight on this one .
    This Mk II was produced by (EC&CO Ltd) E Carmeliant & Co Ltd Birmingham and is 1940 dated now here is were things get rather interesting it is sporting a 1942 dated VMC liner and a Canadian war time period chinstrap of course there is no way to tell 100% when this conversion was done period or early post war but there is period evidence in the form of images to support this type of camo pattern was worn in the theater of operations in Italy and or South western Europe.
    The liner and chinstrap look to have been in this helmet for many years and IMO the camo looks good and shows some nice aging and patina I would love to know how and were this helmet came to be in this configuration but feel this information for the most part will be beyond my reach
    So all I can do for the time being is speculate unless I can get some details on the service man that it belonged to I shall post up and add more images of my own once it arrives in the post

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk II British Camo with a Canadian twist   Mk II British Camo with a Canadian twist  

Mk II British Camo with a Canadian twist   Mk II British Camo with a Canadian twist  

Mk II British Camo with a Canadian twist   Mk II British Camo with a Canadian twist  

Mk II British Camo with a Canadian twist  

Cool camo, Mark!

Cheers!
    Taka

Interesting Helmet. If only they could talk
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

Very Very nice,

CBH
    ?

I believe i saw that in Halifax a couple weeks ago , i thought of you Mark when I saw it . Nice group .

?

Thanks gents I showed it on a different forum a few days ago and there was some speculation that the helmet may have been Navy or Air force issued ? do to the smooth nature of the exterior of the shell .

Regards Mark

?

Yep you did so Chris I purchased it the day after you were in Andrews shop.

Regards Mark

?

Are you guys talking about Andrew Moss?
    I have got a few good items from him, met him at the Ottawa show late last year, he brought a couple of larger cannonballs for me.

Dean O

?

You bet Dean I have dealt with Andrew as well in the past he seems like a good guy.

Regards Mark

?

To me the original paint looks textured, is the grey is an undercoat for the camo?
    Here's an picture of Sicily I think, with similar camo but different colour.
    Interesting camo.
    Attached Images Attached Images Mk II British Camo with a Canadian twist 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast