Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MK II Dessert Tan?

Article about: I noticed the South African example I posted sold for over £100 which considering the condition of the liner must have made the seller very happy. I know of one in much better condition for

Default MK II Dessert Tan?

Hi friends!

I've been looking for a MKII dessert tan for some time now, I've just found this and would like to know if its the real deal?

MK II Dessert Tan?MK II Dessert Tan?MK II Dessert Tan?

rgds
    Mads

?

Default Re: MK II Dessert Tan?

I don't think so, it looks far too clean.

?

I would have to agree with what Tinhat says in #2, it looks far too clean and fresh for a paint job on a helmet that is over 70 years old.
    For instance, look at the liner retainer screw, there's not a drop of paint on it.
    Personally, to me, it looks like someone has either taken a helmet shell, repainted it and then added a liner, or done a "strip-down, repaint and re-assembly" job.

As a nice MkII, I would buy it but NOT as a genuine desert finished one.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Agree with the others, it does not look to have 70 year old paint and it depends on what price it reaches on ebay as to whether it is worth having IMO.

This SA example for sale is more convincing IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images MK II Dessert Tan?  MK II Dessert Tan?  MK II Dessert Tan? 
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Got to agree, I have a desert tan MkII and the first difference is the inside dome is not painted like this example is. This one is way to clean.

Cheers
    Jason

?

Agree with all above, MkII helmets painted inside & out whether sand or white for the ARP never do it for me.

Mmmm...dessert! (as Homer Simpson would say).

Thanks guys. So the helmets were never issued in desert tan, but always fieldpainted?

?

I think they were all field painted.
    If there are any other helmets you need some info' on just ask, because there's some real bad ones on ebay & web sites. One usual seller to look out for is selling a very dodgy Mk3 & a nice FAP but with a laughable fake label, he's really surpassed himself on that one.

?

As the guys are saying, all would have been field painted, and not in the dome as this one has been.

Brad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast