Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MK V Riot Helmet

Article about: I'll have to check the helmet for stamps to date it. As you can see in the photo from the inside, mine lacks this 3rd mounting point. A neck guard would make sense, most modern riot helmets

?

Default MK IV Riot Helmet

Tomorrow I'm picking up what I think is a MK V Riot helmet. Its complete with liner, chinstrap, and shield.

Can someone provide any info on who used these helmets? Army? Police?
    Google has been no help to me.

Here's a picture:
    MK V Riot Helmet

Nitram
    Last edited by Nitram; 01-26-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Default Re: MK V Riot Helmet

Hi Nitram,
    It would have been used by British troops in Northern Ireland, a MkV is simply a mk 1V with a different liner.
    the liner in a MkV has the foam, where the Mk 1V has the older liner.
    Dave.

Quote by Nitram View Post
    Tomorrow I'm picking up what I think is a MK V Riot helmet. Its complete with liner, chinstrap, and shield.

Can someone provide any info on who used these helmets? Army? Police?
    Google has been no help to me.

Here's a picture:
    MK V Riot Helmet

Nitram
    When you get it could you post pictures of the insides showing the chin strap , when they added the face shield they also changed the chin strap from the normal mk.4 to one that has three anchor points unfortunately my MK.5 Riot helmet is missing its chin strap so hopefully yours has the correct one and i can see what they look like as I don't know if they used a chin strap off a para helmet or devised something totally new.

?

I'm back.

I'm not sure what to make of the liner. It's not a MKV, inside there's a "7 FFL III" on the liner. So its a MKIV.

Here's some low quality phone photos, and some other goodies I have to display alongside the helmet:

MK V Riot Helmet

MK V Riot Helmet

MK V Riot Helmet

This helmet was in service with the Maltese Police Force, owned by a Seargant Major.
    Inside the helmet is a sticker with a saint, the Maltese are quite religious.
    Painted black on the inside, light olive on the outside (as seen in the first photo posted.).
    The baton I got from the same officer. I also got a Maltese Police patch and police issue leggings, but they're not pictured.
    The handcuffs are from my collection, Hiatt's No 104 (I have the original box too!).

I'll get more detailed shots and the requested pictures of the chinstrap shortly, once I get access to my camera.

EDIT: Here's some more pictures with my phone.
    MK V Riot Helmet
    MK V Riot Helmet
    MK V Riot Helmet

Nitram
    Last edited by Nitram; 01-26-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Added more pictures.

Its a mk.111 liner which would make your helmet a MK.4 and it has the standard MK.4 chin strap. Here are two pictures of my MK.5 with out the liners sock cover note the third anchor point at the back.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MK V Riot Helmet  
    Attached Images Attached Images MK V Riot Helmet 

?

Thanks for the info! Nice lid you have there.

Is there any way to date the helmet? Where should I look for markings. Also the liner is canvas with felt underneath, is this correct or was this changed by the Maltese?

Nitram

?

Quote by joseph barrett View Post
    note the third anchor point at the back.
    Why?
    Piotrek

?

Quote by ppp p View Post
    Why?
    My MkIV lacks this, so I'm guessing this is a difference between a MKIV and MKV, since helmets like this I've found for sale (a quick google search using "MKV riot helmet" should find them), have the anchor point there too.

Nitram

Thanks for the info! Nice lid you have there.

Is there any way to date the helmet? Where should I look for markings. Also the liner is canvas with felt underneath, is this correct or was this changed by the Maltese?

Nitram
    They are usually stamped on the inside but it is very often hidden under the paint ,the date on the liner should be on the across band with the makers name and size on it. I don't know were the felt has come from that's not normal.

My MkIV lacks this, so I'm guessing this is a difference between a MKIV and MKV, since helmets like this I've found for sale (a quick google search using "MKV riot helmet" should find them), have the anchor point there too.

Nitram
    I have not seen a MK.1V riot helmet before but all the modified riot MK.Vs I have seen have the third anchor point the normal MK.Vs don't . I have assumed the third anchor point is for a different type of chin strap to make the helmet more stable do to the wight of the face shield but it could be a for neck guard?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast