Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

MK V Turtle helmet charity shop find I.D.

Article about: Hi all!! A nice surprise purchase today in the local charity shop of all places !! I think its a MK V turtle helmet ...and in good condition apart from the chin strap, as it is just tied on

Default MK V Turtle helmet charity shop find I.D.

Hi all!!
    A nice surprise purchase today in the local charity shop of all places !!
    I think its a MK V turtle helmet ...and in good condition apart from the chin strap, as it is just tied on to the helmet net ( looks to have been there a long time though so possible field mod???!!) it has one swivel missing too.... the camo cover under the net is an old "hood smock cold weather" cant quite make out the date unfortunately.. (it even still has buttons!! and if it wasn't for the helmet edge wearing through could be fitted to a smock!!!) I guess this common practice for this type of helmet!?? with all the scrim tied on the net could it be N.I. used..or could it have been used in Falklands conflict perhaps???
    I wont tell you the price I paid... needless to say I thought it was cheep!!!
    also think its GREAT regardless!!!!
    your thoughts please.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MK V Turtle helmet charity shop find I.D.   MK V Turtle helmet charity shop find I.D.  

MK V Turtle helmet charity shop find I.D.   MK V Turtle helmet charity shop find I.D.  

MK V Turtle helmet charity shop find I.D.   MK V Turtle helmet charity shop find I.D.  

A great find in good order, my local charity shop only has old jumpers in it! Leon.

I passed one up in a local charity shop about 5 or 6 years back, though today I would have bought it. They had it labelled as a Wolseley helmet, LOL.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi thanks
    My local charity shops are very close to the old site of the W&P military vehicle show!! every year they used to save up all the military kit ....and also get sent loads from the other charity shops too...all for that week!!!
    Today the bloke who served me said he had listed a Luftwaffe M43 hat on eBay that came in with the bits I got..prolly fake tho.... or maybe not!! didn't get a look.. would know what to look for anyway!!!! he did say I have first dibbs if it goes unsold!!!

?

It looks really cool and will display well. It's a mk 4 that has been updated with a mk5 liner. It's a shame about the chin strap lug but I would still have it it my collection

Alex

very nice ,the scrim is a work of art and the dates on the mk5 liner and nylon comfort sock certainly fit the timeframes you mention the hood certainly looks to show issued use ,a nice find in my opinion ,here is my example for comparison again the shell is dated 1952 MK V Turtle helmet charity shop find I.D.
    Regards James

here is better daylight pictures of mine ,it too uses the dpm smock hood in the 68 patternMK V Turtle helmet charity shop find I.D.MK V Turtle helmet charity shop find I.D.
    Regards James