Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Mk1*

Article about: A bit battered & bruised, but this Mk1* looks to be an early one. Rimless, Mk1 liner dated 1937 & made by HELMETS Ltd, being the first year they made Mk1 liners. Mk1 chin strap lugs

SMP
    ?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    I think the British army was a bit paranoid about magnetic items close to their compasses, even the Mk2A chin strap was marked with an M or asterisk so it never got onto an Mk2 No.1 helmet,only Mk2 No.2's.
    Of 3 Mk1*'s, 2 have magnetic rims, while the other has an stainless steel non magnetic rim.
    & only one of the two magnetic rimed helmet has an M.
    But why worry about the rim when the whole shell is magnetic ? MkI, MKII + MKIII

?

I think the British army was a bit paranoid about magnetic items close to their compasses, even the Mk2A chin strap was marked with an M or asterisk so it never got onto an Mk2 No.1 helmet,only Mk2 No.2's..
    Indeed, in August 1943, the Canadian Master General of Ordnance (MGO) suggested that recently introduced deeper Canadian Mk.II liners would be particularly suitable for use with the Mk.III and HSRAC. The War Office rejected the offer on the grounds that Canadian liners were unsuitable because of the magnetic steel clips attaching the buffers to the liner bands.

?

Quote by SMP View Post
    Magnetic "M" in one of my MKI*s.

The strange thing is a magnet sticks to all my MKI*s, MKIIs and MKIIIs ?
    Hi Steve that is rather interesting are you stricktly refering to the rim or the helmet body it self all Canadian produced Mk II helmet bodies are non magnetic manganese steel with a stainless steel rim with the exception of of helmet bodies that were produced by G.S.W. for the Department of Pensions and Health for use by the Air-Raids Precautions Service (ARP). These have their lugs,welded and not riveted to the rim.
    Consequently all helmet bodies produced by this maker from mid 1942 and on will only be manufactured from mild steel including the rim and have no date or batch number and are marked G.S.W. DP&H.

Regards Mark

SMP
    ?

Quote by Mark K View Post
    Hi Steve that is rather interesting are you stricktly refering to the rim or the helmet body it self .

Regards Mark
    The shell, Mark.

?

Apart from the rims on two of my Mk1*s no other Mk2 or Mk3 shell is magnetic. The No.2 shells are another matter, the magnet jumps out of my hand onto the shell.

SMP
    ?

Apart from the rims on two of my Mk1*s no other Mk2 or Mk3 shell is magnetic. The No.2 shells are another matter, the magnet jumps out of my hand onto the shell.
    Hmmm.... perhaps I'm using a magic magnet . Next time you are here Aaron I'll show you .

?

Hi Steve I checked a couple of the Mk III's and two of my Mk I's out of curiosity as well this morning and all would appear to be non magnetic.

Regards Mark

SMP
    ?

I think the magnet I have must be very strong. It sticks to all my British lids, but "jumps out of my hand" ( like Aaron says ) on two of the MKI*s.

?

You sure it wasn't magic mushrooms, not magic magnet.
    Funnily enough my German helmets are magnetic, which I wasn't expecting.

?

Likewise, I touched a magnet to all my Mk.IIIs and IVs, none are magnetic, the only exception is my post-war Belgian-made Mk.III copy which has a magnetic rim and lugs.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast