Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Mk1*

Article about: A bit battered & bruised, but this Mk1* looks to be an early one. Rimless, Mk1 liner dated 1937 & made by HELMETS Ltd, being the first year they made Mk1 liners. Mk1 chin strap lugs

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Funnily enough my German helmets are magnetic, which I wasn't expecting.
    Only manganese steel (used mainly by Commonwealth countries, the USA and after 1923, France) is non magnetic. Great War German helmets are made or nickle or nickle-chrome steel alloy, Second World War helmets were made of nickle-chrome-molybdenum, or later when some of these metals became scarce, nickle-silicon. Look at the Irish M27, it's non-magnetic but weighs only 1 kg compared to 1.25 kg for an equivalent German Stahlhelm. That's because Vickers used manganese steel, which has to be cold-pressed, and for such a deep-draw helmet had to use a thinner gauge of steel than the Germans did - hence most surviving M27s have more than their share of dents.
    Roger

Quote by RVLucy View Post
    Likewise, I touched a magnet to all my Mk.IIIs and IVs, none are magnetic, the only exception is my post-war Belgian-made Mk.III copy which has a magnetic rim and lugs.
    Do you mean Belgian MK.II or did they make MK.IIIs as well?

?

Belgian Mk.III - in addition to clones of the Mk.II, HSATs and HSRAC the Belgians made Mk.III clones, in very limited quantities, I will post some photos but in the Mk.III thread to avoid veering too far off-topic.
    Roger

?

Here's another raw edge Mk1*, made by Edgar Allen & Co Ltd 1916-18.
    Standard khaki green textured paint to the outside & smooth in, Mk1 chin strap & lugs. The Mk2 liner is dated 1939, which looks like the Mk1* was still being issued alongside the Mk2 for at least a year or two, & maybe even longer.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk1*   Mk1*  

Mk1*   Mk1*  

Mk1*   Mk1*  

Mk1*   Mk1*  

Mk1*   Mk1*  

SMP
    ?

Top shelf, Aaron ! A real beauty . These really don't get the following they deserve.

?

I know, the majority of helmets used by the BEF in 39/40 were issued these helmets,alongside obviously the Mk2. But most Mk2's went to the ARP, Police & Fire first.

Tinlid, you inspired me to go upstairs and take a picture of my MK1* by HS with a Vero liner.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk1*   Mk1*  

Mk1*   Mk1*  

Mk1*   Mk1*  

Mk1*   Mk1*  

?

That's a neat looking Mk1*, great condition.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast