Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

MK1* South African Desert Camouflage

Article about: Hello everyone, i just got hold of this beautiful MK1* South African Desert Camouflage from New Zealand..there is a stacking mark on the helmet and the paint from one it was stacked on is on

A super SA MKII, nice pick up. A lot of these seem to have the stacking rings on them so I guess the South African military must have held onto a fair few post North Africa campaign. Leon.

?

The vast majority of these S.A helmets were never issued/used it seems, thats why they are always in such good condition, baring the stacking marks.
    If you have an 1940 dated one painted in UDF green or over painted sand colour, they are the rare ones, in that they are most likely to have been used in ww2.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    The vast majority of these S.A helmets were never issued/used it seems, thats why they are always in such good condition, baring the stacking marks.
    If you have an 1940 dated one painted in UDF green or over painted sand colour, they are the rare ones, in that they are most likely to have been used in ww2.
    Hi Aaron,
    yes, is as you say; I have this example 1940 marked, I found it long time ago, I think it was used during ww2 period.
    Also it seems to me interesting the riveted chinstrap hooks with rounded corners not at a right angle

Regards

MK1* South African Desert CamouflageMK1* South African Desert CamouflageMK1* South African Desert CamouflageMK1* South African Desert Camouflage

SMP
    ?

As Aaron said, only the early ones are rare, and remember a large proportion of them were not even yellow, but were green or brown. 80% of all SA made helmets ( 1,300,000 ) went to the EGSC and were never used. It is these that became surplus a few years back, and they are the ones most often seen in collections and being offered for sale. Lots of the surplus ones were stacked with paper between helmets, and remains of the paper can still be found stuck to the liners. Some of these were re-painted green after the war. I remember certain London surplus dealers having hundreds of them for sale. Do not pay too much for these EGSC helmets.

?

Quote by OldSteel View Post
    Hi Aaron,
    yes, is as you say; I have this example 1940 marked, I found it long time ago, I think it was used during ww2 period.
    Also it seems to me interesting the riveted chinstrap hooks with rounded corners not at a right angle

Regards

MK1* South African Desert CamouflageMK1* South African Desert CamouflageMK1* South African Desert CamouflageMK1* South African Desert Camouflage
    The lugs are virtually a copy of the British Mk2 chin strap lugs, with clipped corners. These are the ones seen on the early S.A Mk2's, either with split rivets or a round rivet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MK1* South African Desert Camouflage  

SMP
    ?

Attached Images Attached Images MK1* South African Desert Camouflage 

Here's the two I had to drag across in the hand luggage!

Renè , the green example is fantastic!!

SMP
    ?

Quote by OldSteel View Post
    Renè , the green example is fantastic!!
    Indeed !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2