Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mk2 helmet

Article about: Mk2 with no stamp markings on the shell or the liner and believe me I’ve looked everywhere using a torch. The only markings that can be seen are on the chinstrap bales but due to the the siz

Default Mk2 helmet

Mk2 with no stamp markings on the shell or the liner and believe me I’ve looked everywhere using a torch. The only markings that can be seen are on the chinstrap bales but due to the the size of the rivets they obscure the year markings. I’m tempted to take the liner out to see if the liner is marked elsewhere but it looks to steadfast. The screw, washer and nut holding the liner in, again is not like anything I’ve had on any of my Mk2s but have seen similar on others examples. The stainless steel rim is spot welded on the side of the helmet and looks like no weld I’ve seen on any of the Mk2s I’ve owned with 3 round spot welds. The paint is textured but appears to have two layers one of green OD but now overlaid with a brown OD. Real head scratcher this one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 helmet   Mk2 helmet  

Mk2 helmet   Mk2 helmet  

Mk2 helmet   Mk2 helmet  

Mk2 helmet   Mk2 helmet  

Mk2 helmet  

The second layer of paint may have filled in the markings, making them impossible to see. I've got a Mk2 that's had a sandy overpaint, and the markings are only readable in the right kind of light. Yours might have been obscured completely.

B.B.

possibly something next to the rim join? I seem to remember there was only one maker who had the join on the side.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    The second layer of paint may have filled in the markings, making them impossible to see. I've got a Mk2 that's had a sandy overpaint, and the markings are only readable in the right kind of light. Yours might have been obscured completely.

B.B.
    It hasn’t had the second layer applied to the inside of the helmet. I do have another Mk2 that has a really thick coating of textured paint and the stamp markings are not to be seen but the layer on the inside of this one is very thin and I’ve held a light at all angles and there just nothing not even a slight depression in the paint where markings could be. I’m wondering if the stamp could be under one of the bales or under the rim as if seen stamp markings half obscured like this on one others.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    possibly something next to the rim join? I seem to remember there was only one maker who had the join on the side.
    Hi Jerry I own a few side seemed helmets and I’m sure I’ve seen two different makers on them

I have a few with no visible makers marks, others with them just showing through the paint and as you mention a few partly obscured by the lugs.

It is an early war home front lid, the MKI liner is early and the lack of textured paint on the exterior makes it not army issue.

I still think there is a hint of markings between the rim join and the lug.
    Regards,

Jerry

I have a few with no visible makers marks, others with them just showing through the paint and as you mention a few partly obscured by the lugs.

It is an early war home front lid, the MKI liner is early and the lack of textured paint on the exterior makes it not army issue.

I still think there is a hint of markings between the rim join and the lug.
    I found this on different weld seems
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 helmet  

it was F&L I was thinking of, though that said the one I have is not on the side. I did not know so many makers did side rim closing! I'll get my coat....
    Regards,

Jerry

it was F&L I was thinking of, though that said the one I have is not on the side. I did not know so many makers did side rim closing! I'll get my coat....
    That’s the great thing about sites like these, just when you think you’ve seen everything

I have a number catalogued as “no rim stamps evident”.....they MIGHT be there somewhere but I spend a sad amount of time side illuminating, magnifying glassing etc etc.....I tell myself they’ve GOT to be there...somewhere...and then give up. F&L put a sneaky stamp at the rear and not the side..

As for the screws/nuts, I’ve given up trying to understand the unofficial variants......

Sorry, this doesn’t help much, if at all...but I for one am not surprised by your findings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast