Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mk2 Helmet Help Please

Article about: I Have a Canadian Mk2 helmet. But I am curious why the bolt at the top of the helmet that holds the liner to the shell has a small round screw head and not a larger flat head like all the Mk

Default Mk2 Helmet Help Please

I Have a Canadian Mk2 helmet. But I am curious why the bolt at the top of the helmet that holds the liner to the shell has a small round screw head and not a larger flat head like all the Mk2 helmet's i see elsewhere. Is it still ww2 manufacture/ Original?

Default Re: Mk2 Helmet Help Please

Would need pictures to answer your question, but it sounds like it could be a MkIII securing bolt. As far as I know, Canada only used the MkI securing bolt in their helmets.

MkI-Introduced Jan.1938. Had a large pan head bolt and large pan head style nut.

MkII-Introduced March 1940. Had a large pan head bolt with slightly longer threads with a Simmonds Elastic Stop Nut.

MkIII-Introduced as an economy in 1942. Had a small pan head bolt with the Simmonds Elastic Stop Nut.

Default Re: Mk2 Helmet Help Please

The helmet is dated 1942, and is a CL/C. I think the liner and chinstrap were replaced at some time because they don't match the wear of the shell but are still original. The paint is a darker green with sand mixed in. The bolt head is the same color as the helmet shell but the rest of the bolt is a light gold color. Pictures won't post right now for some reason i will get them asap.