Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Mk2 Police sargeant Helmet.

Article about: I was very pleased to find and add this to my growing collection of home front helmets. Would this be a regular police officers helmet as apposed to a Special or reserve? Ill let the pics do

NCA
    ?

Default Mk2 Police sargeant Helmet.

I was very pleased to find and add this to my growing collection of home front helmets.
    Would this be a regular police officers helmet as apposed to a Special or reserve?
    Ill let the pics do the talking now!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	police tin hat 2.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	364147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	police tin hat1.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	364148

Shell is dated 1939 and is made by TTC.(teddy toy company)the chinstrap lugs are 1938 dated.The liner is in fairly poor shape and is made by BH&G(barrow hepburn and gale) and is dated 1939 also.
    Last edited by NCA; 06-29-2012 at 02:06 PM.

?

Default Re: Mk2 Police sargeant Helmet.

I can't say I've seen a police helmet marked with the 2 white bands & the sergeants stripes as well. Have been told the white stripes were for the war reserves, then that the white stripes were for a sergeant, but you would'nt have the white stripes as well as the sergeants stripes with crown too. So maybe this proves it's a war reserve sergeant, really nice lid

NCA
    ?

Thank you.Thats the beauty of Home front helmets..endless variety and variations!I thought the reserves and specials were marked with a 'WR' or SC?
    What isnt quite clear in the pics is the colour..instead of the normal Police blue this one is a sort of deep bronze/blue.It looks to be factory painted too.
    I believe the 'police' stencil is universal too as there are many that look just the same.

?

The font in this picture I always thought was post war but there is a wartime pic' with exactly the same font. Here's a couple of pics of my SC.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HELMET BANK 4 151_1067x800.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	364324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HELMET BANK 4 147_1067x800.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	364323  

Name:	50338a.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	364322  

Thats a lovely helmet NCA.
    The added bonus of having the 3 different insignia is fantastic.Love it
    Mick

Name:	police tin hat1.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	364148

I would say it was quite a rare helmet. The rank (crown over three stripes) is actually Station Sergeant, which was the rank above Sergeant and below Inspector.

Rob

NCA
    ?

Mick, i love it too!Thank you.

And Rob, thank you for the comments.Station Sargeant..that makes a bit more special

I probably overpaid for it but i had to have it and i doubt i will see another.
    Anyone know what they are worth?

Very nice lid, I had a police Mk2 a few years ago.