Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mk2 refurbished

Article about: Hello everyone, here is my latest pick up, nothing uncommon but still interesting, it comes to this Mk2 rough brown painted; marked: RO. CO. 0B I 1943 liner size 6 -3/4 The shell is of WW2 p

Default Mk2 refurbished

Hello everyone,
    here is my latest pick up, nothing uncommon but still interesting, it comes to this Mk2 rough brown painted; marked:
    RO. CO. 0B I 1943
    liner size 6 -3/4
    The shell is of WW2 period and was refurbished after the war with liner replacement marked "1949", unfortunately the date you can not take pictures because it is covered by rubber cross.
    I liked it because still has not been altered since that time and has a nice patina; I believe that this is one of first examples of postwar reconditioning.
    I also noticed that the side rubber buffers do not have numbers above, as is the case on the 50's examples.
    Thanks for looking.

Roberto

Mk2 refurbishedMk2 refurbishedMk2 refurbishedMk2 refurbishedMk2 refurbishedMk2 refurbishedMk2 refurbishedMk2 refurbishedMk2 refurbishedMk2 refurbishedMk2 refurbished

SMP
    ?

The liner may have been replaced post war, but I think the shell still has it's original 1943 paint. Those 43 dated shell have a distinctive shape.

?

As I only collect WW2 issue helmets, I have given up on collecting these dark brown ones. They are a bit of an mine field, some are textured dark brown inside & out, while others are smooth in, & textured out. When from 1941 onwards Mk2's were painted textured inside & out on the khaki green ones, so assume the same for dark brown. Some have an white appearance to the paint, something to do with the way they refurbished them.
    Some have WW2 dated liners, while others have 1949 - 1950+ dated liners.
    The Mk2 was still being used by the army until 1953, & later for other units.
    A nice addition to your collection.
    This one also has an 1949 dated liner.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 refurbished   Mk2 refurbished  

Mk2 refurbished   Mk2 refurbished  

Thanks Aaron,
    I take advantage of your knowledge, and still want to ask you: the chinstrap of my helmet seems to have a color that tends to green, do you think is pre- or - post war?

SMP
    ?

I avoid those rough brown MKIIs as well. However I believe the helmet posted is like this one : 1943 dated shell and liner - paint is the same as found on some early MKIIIs ( not the khaki ones )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 refurbished   Mk2 refurbished  

?

Roberto,
    Your strap is an Mk3, produced from March 1941, probably until 1945. But it does look quite green, maybe dyed at unit or above level.

Steve, I get where you are coming from on these 1943 RO&Co, it could be it's original WW2 dark brown paint. But I can't see it being the same on my BMB 1941 dated one,this 1941 dated shell should have either khaki green textured outside, smooth in, or khaki green textured inside & out.
    So for me (BMB 1941) looks to have been refured post war.

SMP
    ?

Yeah, I agree , the 1941 one is clearly a refurb ( probably post war. ) IMO these 1943 Ro & Co lids are the only genuine factory-brown MKIIs.

Aaron and Steve,
    thanks for your help, it may be interesting, I refer you to another helmet in my collection of the same kind, I posted it a few months ago; it was photographed just found, in this case the the white coating which appears to cover the paint is dust, once clean is back dark brown color as the inside, but rough.

British Army MK2 "rough brown"

Cheers

?

This is an BMB 1943, with flash for the 5th Div, whether original or not, who knows these days?

Mk2 refurbished  

Quote by tinlid View Post
    This is an BMB 1943, with flash for the 5th Div, whether original or not, who knows these days?
    I agree, they look like paintings by longtime, especially the second, but it's really difficult to tell whether they were placed during of after the war