Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mk3 helmet

Article about: Goodmorning everyone, I have this Mk3 helmet, I found some time ago, complete of this net a little torn. It has been originally painted inside and out in textured khaki green, subsequently t

Default Mk3 helmet

Goodmorning everyone,
    I have this Mk3 helmet, I found some time ago, complete of this net a little torn.
    It has been originally painted inside and out in textured khaki green, subsequently the outside was covered with a darker color.
    The shell marks are not visible because they are covered by the paint, and the liner is marked:
    CCL 11 194?
    as you can see missing the last digit of production year, and for this I ask your help to date it correctly.
    Thank you in advance for your help and for each comment.

Greetings
    Roberto

Mk3 helmetMk3 helmetMk3 helmetMk3 helmetMk3 helmetMk3 helmetMk3 helmet

?

Liner is probably dated 44/45, have a look at the rubber buffers, if they have numbers on then it's post war.
    The shell is an BMB.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk3 helmet  

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Liner is probably dated 44/45, have a look at the rubber buffers, if they have numbers on then it's post war.
    The shell is an BMB.
    As always thank you Aaron,
    what you tell me is a good news, I checked and there are no numbers on the rubber buffers

Mk3 helmetMk3 helmet

Cheers
    Last edited by OldSteel; 05-31-2016 at 05:36 PM. Reason: add photo

?

A nice addition Roberto and a good tip with the numbers on the buffers Aaron.

Tony

I can just make out the curving lower part of the last digit, so either a 5 or a 3.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk3 helmet  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I can just make out the curving lower part of the last digit, so either a 5 or a 3.
    Thanks Jerry, you're right, I had not noticed but enlarging the image appears the curved part of the digit.
    I'm not sure but I seem to remember that in 1945 these helmets were produced with dark brown paint, correct? in this case I would tend to think of a 1943 dating.

Cheers

I can see a '5' as the last digit Compare this pic with the other one:

Mk3 helmet

Quote by earlymb View Post
    I can see a '5' as the last digit Compare this pic with the other one:

Mk3 helmet
    Thanks earlymb for your analysis, this could indicate that the khaki green paint was still used in 1945.

Cheers

It is also when the liner was put in place, its not impossible for a 44 manufactured helmet to end up with a liner from 43, 44 or 45
    Regards,

Jerry

though a 3 works just as well. To my eyes the only clear bit is the curved bottom of the number.

My original green paint mkiii has the same make liner and also a very feint 3, but it is a three.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk3 helmet   Mk3 helmet  

Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast