MKII Chaplins helmet?

Article about: Here's one for you fella's! In a lot of respects I like this helmet as being a "spot on" lid. It is of a type that I have seen (paint) before, but when it popped up my "alarm

Default MKII Chaplins helmet?

Here's one for you fella's!
    In a lot of respects I like this helmet as being a "spot on" lid. It is of a type that I have seen (paint) before, but when it popped up my "alarm bells rang" due to the nice over all wear ruined by three plainly intentional scratches across the cross and a couple more near by? Seams odd that that would be an area to bugger up or artificially age on either a faked helmet or a genuine piece the kids got their hands on.
    Maybe I am just getting over cautious in my old age? Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	824960   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	824959  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	824961  
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

Hello Leon, The left arm tip of the cross has damage from what appears to be several blows with a small tool. The large spot in the Body of the cross looks to have been done almost with a chisel. Twice. Either someone did Not like the "Chaplain" aspect of it or did not like religion of any sort being connected to it. Like you said, it's abit of a mystery, and, unfortunately would be enough to put me off of it-even if it was unquestionably genuine(which it may well Be). Every time that I looked at it, I would be annoyed.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Unfortunate damage but looks like an original piece to me Leon. An unusual helmet....didn't you recently pick up a black Wardens one with cross....it would make a nice pair.

Steve.

MAP
    ?

Heck...if someone was trying to deface the cross I think they would have done a better job. I think just an unfortunate accident of which we will never know. (just my two cents )

But I like it!

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Any idea's on date of the shell & liner?

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    Unfortunate damage but looks like an original piece to me Leon. An unusual helmet....didn't you recently pick up a black Wardens one with cross....it would make a nice pair.

Steve.
    Thanks for your thoughts gents, I too find the scratches on the cross annoying, I have no problem with natural wear/damage but something intentionally done bugs me. Hi Steve, yes I do have that nice Wardens helmet with the Christian cross to the front and although I would like one like this to go with it, this one is 225!!!! I think I will pass all things considered, to many doubts and to much damage to justify that kind of asking price in my opinion. Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Any idea's on date of the shell & liner?
    Hi Aaron, no ,the listing does not give that information. Leon.

I'd take a flyer if it was half the price....the damage does look recent and it is coincidental that the worst damage is across the only (small) emblem on the thing (statistically a bummer!) BUT it could've been dropped coming out of the attic after 70 years...and without some form of paint analysis (or a confession by the faker) we'll never know....what if???

..but 200+?...not this time.....