Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

MKII Friends Ambulance Unit grouping.

Article about: Hello gents, I have just bought this fine and rare group of items that belonged to a member of the Friends Ambulance Unit during WW2. This was an organization with a complement of men and wo

Very interesting Leon!...

MKII Friends Ambulance Unit grouping.I have a matching pair of Quaker badges, it is true that they wore a uniform so that if captured they were afforded protection under the Geneva convention. Having said that the Japanese did not sign up to the convention, John.
    Last edited by CARL; 01-25-2015 at 06:47 PM.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Leon,

A very nice grouping, and an interesting tale regarding these brave guys too. Here's a link to the book by A. Tegla Davies that you reference above. I haven't read it all, but what I have is interesting, something that you never really get to hear about these days. There's an excellent chapter on the FAU in Egypt and Greece, it got pretty 'hot' there with much bombing by Stuka's and moving around just ahead of the enemy;(some were captured in Greece and ended up in Stalag's in Germany /Poland for the rest of the war). It appears the whole book has been downloaded here:

A. Tegla Davies. Friends Ambulance Unit. 1947. Preface. Contents. Prologue.

Your chap is listed as a member of the FAU in Appendix 2,

Looking forward to any other details from his Journals when you get them!

Regards, Ned.
    Hi Ned, thanks for the link mate, some great information in there. I have ordered a "hard copy" of the book and am hoping there will be some nice photographs in it as well. Should be a great read. Leon.

Quote by Blackpowder44 View Post
    MKII Friends Ambulance Unit grouping.I have a matching pair of Quaker badges, it is true that they wore a uniform so that if captured they were afforded protection under the Geneva convention. Having said that the Japs did not sign up to the convention, John.
    Those are very nice and I imagine very rare insignia John, thanks for showing them. Leon.
    Last edited by FALLSCHIRMJAGER; 02-02-2015 at 09:37 AM.

great find.

very nice indeed leon, well done

Hi chaps, well the book has arrived and very interesting it is too. It is a private publication sold only to members of the Unit and Colin Giffard is indeed mentioned in it and it has quite a few interesting photographs. The images are quite small and if you did not know that they were from the personal archives of F.A.U members you would struggle to identify the unit. One image does however show the "slip on" F.A.U titles on a chaps shirt and one or two trucks/ambulances have the F.A.U insignia on. Just got to wait for the items themselves to arrive now! Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKII Friends Ambulance Unit grouping.   MKII Friends Ambulance Unit grouping.  

MKII Friends Ambulance Unit grouping.   MKII Friends Ambulance Unit grouping.  

?

Well done Leon. A very interesting and unusual grouping.

?

Wonderful grouping. Congrats on acquiring it. That is a very interesting liner on that MKII helmet.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Wonderful grouping. Congrats on acquiring it. That is a very interesting liner on that MKII helmet.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Hi Phil, the liner is of the type that many private purchase helmets had fitted to them, mostly by officers. Leon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast