Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

MKII Friends Ambulance Unit grouping.

Article about: Hello gents, I have just bought this fine and rare group of items that belonged to a member of the Friends Ambulance Unit during WW2. This was an organization with a complement of men and wo

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Phil, the liner is of the type that many private purchase helmets had fitted to them, mostly by officers. Leon.
    That is why I love this site. Such fine Gent's and I learn something everyday on here.
    Thanks Leon!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Evening gents, well the grouping is on it's way but I have also found a WW2 period kit bag on the net so I have snapped it up as it will "fit the bill" to keep all of the other items together in! Leon.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

The box has arrived and I love it! A great looking MKII Medics helmet and grouping. The helmet is a BMB made piece 1939 dated with a private purchase liner. It appears to have had a light tan over paint to the Khaki suggesting that this Medic did move up through North Africa and then onto Italy as many of the members of the F.A.U did. A nice used red cross armband and almost mint private purchase beret amongst the items. The named outer bed roll is particularly interesting as it also has the name E A FITCH printed on it, I looked up this name in the appendix of F.A.U members and he is also listed! I guess equipment was scarce so it was re-issued to Giffard. There is also a bit of family history that came with the group showing that Colin Giffard's Father and three Uncles (all officers)were sadly killed during the First World War, which would explain why he felt particularly strongly about being a pacifist and serving his country in a different way! Sadly the journals/diary's, end in 1935 in Germany, but they do have some interesting comments in such as "Hitlers eye's following you everywhere!" There is a piece of paper in one that is clearly latter as it is a memo to thank the nurses who have helped him so much. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1 001.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	795137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1 002.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	795138  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1 003.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	795139   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1 004.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	795140  

Name:	a1 005.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	795141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1 006.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	795142  

Name:	a1 007.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	795143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1 008.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	795144  

Name:	a1 010.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	795145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1 011.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	795146  

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

?

Hi Leon many thanks for the extra images the hole grouping is of course amazing but that Mk II is a jaw dropper beyond the obvious there is one modidication that I see from time to to on field worn examples.
    I can't help but notice some one has reversed the liner retention nut and bolt this of course would be to stop the threaded end of the bolt from coming into contact with the wearers head and IMO has been finished off on the inside with what would appear to be cloth strip or is it a piece of Medical tape hard to tell from my cell phone.

Regards Mark
    Always on the look out for WW II Canadian Helmets and Cam nets to add to my collection.

Found a Canadian Mk II Medics Helmet and yes I know they are about as rare as hens teeth !!!!!

Quote by Mark K View Post
    Hi Leon many thanks for the extra images the hole grouping is of course amazing but that Mk II is a jaw dropper beyond the obvious there is one modidication that I see from time to to on field worn examples.
    I can't help but notice some one has reversed the liner retention nut and bolt this of course would be to stop the threaded end of the bolt from coming into contact with the wearers head and IMO has been finished off on the inside with what would appear to be cloth strip or is it a piece of Medical tape hard to tell from my cell phone.

Regards Mark
    Hi Mark, the "strip" you refer to is the tailors label for the private purchase liner. The holding nut and thread look like they were fitted that way from the off as I cannot see how you would get to the end under the crown pad? Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1 012.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	795279  

?

Thanx Leon if done from the get go makes it all that more interesting to me this is something on the norm I see with Mk II's that have been used in the field.

Regards Mark
    Always on the look out for WW II Canadian Helmets and Cam nets to add to my collection.

Found a Canadian Mk II Medics Helmet and yes I know they are about as rare as hens teeth !!!!!

Name:	a1 001.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	805137Morning gents, slowly reading through the F.A.U book by T.DAVIES and have found that E.A FITCH (known as Ted!) who was the previous owner of Colin Giffard's outer bed roll was working out in Ethiopia, so I would assume that Giffard was out that way before taking over in Sicily. Interesting stuff that slowly becomes clearer with every turn of the page. Leon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123