Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MKII Friends Ambulance Unit grouping.

Article about: Hello gents, I have just bought this fine and rare group of items that belonged to a member of the Friends Ambulance Unit during WW2. This was an organization with a complement of men and wo

Default MKII Friends Ambulance Unit grouping.

Hello gents, I have just bought this fine and rare group of items that belonged to a member of the Friends Ambulance Unit during WW2. This was an organization with a complement of men and women who were mainly from a Quaker background which meant they were not prepared to fight, but were prepared to help the wounded and displaced. The group belonged to Colin Giffard and includes his private purchase MKII helmet which has the Unit emblem painted to the front along with the Red Cross to either side. This grouping was not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but it is a genuine period Medic/Field Ambulance helmet and as such a scarce piece( if this were German it would have cost 4 times the price I paid for the helmet alone!!). Having done a little research I have located Colin Giffard stationed as the area co-ordinator in charge of the health and welfare of refuges in Agrigento, Sicily during 1943. There is also his cap with the F.A.U badge to the front plus his blankets, Red Cross armband, mess cups, housewife kit and journals. I very much doubt I will ever see another one of these so I "took the plunge" and didn't tell the wife! I hope you like it as much as I do, Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKII Friends Ambulance Unit grouping.   MKII Friends Ambulance Unit grouping.  

MKII Friends Ambulance Unit grouping.   MKII Friends Ambulance Unit grouping.  

MKII Friends Ambulance Unit grouping.   MKII Friends Ambulance Unit grouping.  

Attached Images Attached Images MKII Friends Ambulance Unit grouping. 

Very nice Leon thanks for posting this fine grouping.
    Last edited by Steelhead10; 01-23-2015 at 08:31 AM.

Hi, it seems that there was a total of 1,314 men and women who served 3 months or more with the F.A.U between 1939-46.(Source/original author: A. TEGALE DAVIS.) The Cadbury family (chocolate) were heavily involved, both monetarily and with members serving. The members all wore military uniform whilst on operations in the various theatres of war. Leon.

A seriously rare group Leon, well done on finding this for sale. FAU items are very uncommonly seen, I have a single photograph of a member in uniform from the Great War.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry, thanks for your comments, I must admit that the group ticked a lot of boxes for me. I do not think there are any photographs of Giffard in uniform unfortunately but when it arrives I will check and if there is I will post them up for you. I have ordered a copy of the book I referenced earlier, I think it only had one print run in 1947 so that seems to be nearly as scarce as the items themselves! Leon.

It would be great if you have any pics of him in his uniform.

Here is the one I have of a member of the FAU, though it is WWI in date.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKII Friends Ambulance Unit grouping.  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Very nice indeed! Well done!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Never heard of it before so a new one on me.
    Really nice group.

?

A very nice grouping indeed Leon and it was good that you bit the bullet on this one and acquired it for your collection IMO Groupings do not come up for sale in the marketplace often and you will would be hard pressed to find another such as this in the future .

Regards Mark

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Jerry, thanks for your comments, I must admit that the group ticked a lot of boxes for me. I do not think there are any photographs of Giffard in uniform unfortunately but when it arrives I will check and if there is I will post them up for you. I have ordered a copy of the book I referenced earlier, I think it only had one print run in 1947 so that seems to be nearly as scarce as the items themselves! Leon.
    Hi Leon,

A very nice grouping, and an interesting tale regarding these brave guys too. Here's a link to the book by A. Tegla Davies that you reference above. I haven't read it all, but what I have is interesting, something that you never really get to hear about these days. There's an excellent chapter on the FAU in Egypt and Greece, it got pretty 'hot' there with much bombing by Stuka's and moving around just ahead of the enemy;(some were captured in Greece and ended up in Stalag's in Germany /Poland for the rest of the war). It appears the whole book has been downloaded here:

A. Tegla Davies. Friends Ambulance Unit. 1947. Preface. Contents. Prologue.

Your chap is listed as a member of the FAU in Appendix 2,

Looking forward to any other details from his Journals when you get them!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast