Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MKII home front with flash?

Article about: I bought this as a buy it now from the bay, though noticed after that it came from a member of the forum. The description was a bit vague, but the price was very cheap and if it has been pim

Default MKII home front with flash?

I bought this as a buy it now from the bay, though noticed after that it came from a member of the forum. The description was a bit vague, but the price was very cheap and if it has been pimped at least the liner and the chin strap can be stripped and used to restore two I already have, one with an almost completely wrecked liner and one with a snapped chin strap, obviously. I only have the sellers pics for now and the painted flash does not look too bad to my eyes though another forum member seemed to not think so. The liner retaining bolt looks wrong. The shell is the type with two holes in the brim for a home front helmet and I do not have one of this grade, a MKII No2 1B I think that would make it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKII home front with flash?   MKII home front with flash?  

MKII home front with flash?   MKII home front with flash?  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Anon View Post
    ... the painted flash does not look too bad to my eyes though another forum member seemed to not think so.
    The paint on the flash looks very fresh to me. The edges also seem to have a very sharp edge suggesting the recent removal of masking tape. No doubt an in-hand examination will be conclusive.

Regards,

Philip

Quote by DrPMC View Post
    The paint on the flash looks very fresh to me. The edges also seem to have a very sharp edge suggesting the recent removal of masking tape. No doubt an in-hand examination will be conclusive.

Regards,

Philip
    I expect you are correct Philip and it has been reenactor pimped in recent years. Be good for donor parts if nothing else and the shell can become the display base for the mossie net I bought.
    Regards,

Jerry

The seller Paul responded in another thread.

Hi Jerry, I think these certainly have been added post WW2. I usually see these come in black, and it could have been done for a number of reasons e.g. re-enactment. Kindest Regards Paul
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, looks like a newly added flash to me, but at least you can utilize the parts as you say and that will upgrade your collection. Leon.

Whilst I was happy to accept it was a crappy repaint and was priced as such, but it was claimed to be 1942 dated, of which there is no sign on the shell anywhere I can find it, and the frikkin liner is dated 1953 which largely defeats the object of me buying it to use the liner in one of my war time dated examples with decent original paint but a very poor condition liner.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Anon View Post
    Whilst I was happy to accept it was a crappy repaint and was priced as such, but it was claimed to be 1942 dated, of which there is no sign on the shell anywhere I can find it, and the frikkin liner is dated 1953 which largely defeats the object of me buying it to use the liner in one of my war time dated examples with decent original paint but a very poor condition liner.
    Now that stinks Jerry, that said, if the helmet is in fact a 1953 example could the decal then be original to that date? Just a thought, Leon.

?

That only leaves the chin strap & cruciform pad to salvage, although 50's dated liners sell on ebay for about £10-£15.
    Is the paint original on the shell?

Waste of time then Jerry,defeats the object,had exactly the same thing done to me a while ago,i just let it go and gave the Helmet to my son to have as there's no way it was being displayed in collection,hope it wasn't too much money...................

It was a £20 buy it now, so not a big loss, just a bit of a drag as I wanted a wartime liner. The seller has contacted me and offered to do the decent thing with a full refund and I can keep it, which is better than many sellers would have done.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast