Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 26 of 88 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 76 ... LastLast

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

Article about: To kick this of, my favorite mkII. Liner is Teddy Toy company and the shell is Joseph Sankey & Sons and both are dated 1940. The hand painted serial number matches one from the block of

?

That is an absolute stunner, never seen one with LOCAL before. I have an SUB CONTROLLER that I will post up soon, which is the norm.

?

To compliment Gary's lovely LOCAL CONTROLLER, here's my effort.
    An SUB CONTROLLER, which would have been under an CONTROLLER.
    The nerve centre of the ARP was the control centre, the controller & all the heads of the various services were based here.
    The helmet is dated 1939.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

Here's my newly acquired Irish MKII "R" helmet. Leon.mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

?

I thought while I had a little time this morning I would add a few more Mk II's to the thread.
    ( 1 ) 1942 dated G.S.W. flashed to the Auxiliary Fire Service New Toronto the Dept of Pensions and Health was allowed to purchase 30,000 reject helmet bodies from G.S.W. for the Air Raid Precautions service these shells will be found with the normal manufacturers mark ,date and Mk I stamp
    Mild steel Mk II's that were produced later on in 1942 and used by the ARP and are so marked G.S.W. D P & H.
    mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours
    ( 2 )1941 dated G.S.W which has been brush over painted in an olive green and IMO was one of the known colors that was adopted by the Canadian Army while serving overseas during WW II .
    mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours
    ( 3 ) 1940 dated EC&CO which is sporting a 1942 VMC liner this particular helmet and a BD were acquired from the family of the vet the BD is attributed to the Royal Canadian Artillery 5th Light Anti Aircraft and is dated to 1943 it is sporting cloth divy's for Italy and canvas unit flashes.
    mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours
    ( 4 )War Office Pattern Mk I Brodie The helmet body was manufactured by ( HS ) Hadfields Ltd of Sheffield England and IMO was manufactured post October 31 1916 as the shell has been finished in a sand textured overcoat .The liner bares the War Office Pattern red stamp and the patent number 11803/16 which would put the liner construction no earlier than October 31 1916 .
    mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours
    Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark K; 03-27-2016 at 11:50 PM.

?

Default Home Guard helmet added to collection!

Hi all, picked this helmet up the other day. Untouched and from a family complete with history. It's the mild steel type (with 3 holes punched into the rim on each side) for Home Front use. Looking at earlier sections of this thread I think this helmet type is "Mk2 No2 C" ? Condition is amazing, no rust, 99% original green rough texture paint. The net certainly has the look of having been on since the war, the lace/ cord appears to have been put on to aid adding foliage etc for camouflage. I've seen plenty of Home Guard photos with heavy foliage on their helmets, they seem to have taken their cammo seriously and were sometimes sent on camouflage courses!

Nice clear stamps on it - BMB (Briggs Motor Bodies, Dagenham) 1941 shell, and a BMB 1940 liner (size 7 1/4).

Here is the history I got with it (from the late soldier's daughter):-

"Private Robert Ferguson of the Argyll And Sutherland Highlanders. He joined in 1939 at Edinburgh and served for the duration of the war.
    He was a company hairdresser with the Eighth Army and served in France, Africa (mentioned in dispatches at El Alamein), the invasion of Sicily, Italy, and Germany. He was also stationed for a time in Chesham (Buckinghamshire) where he helped train the Home Guard. This is where he met my Mother and after the war married."

The helmet is obviously nothing to do with his Army service, and appears to be something he picked up when training the Home Guard (and didn't return it!). I'm guessing that he might have been training the Home Guard in perhaps 1941/ 42 - after France, but before service in North Africa? If he was based in Chesham, he might have been with a Company of/ attached to the 11th Buckinghamshire Home Guard Battalion which was based around nearby Amersham.

(This is a great map for HG battalion organisation:- Structure of the Home Guard )

Hope you like it!

Best regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

?

Default More pictures

More pictures:-

?

Really nice helmet & net.

SMP
    ?

Another MKI*. 1938 dated with heavy-textured paint similar to WW1 Brodies.

?

Every good British helmet collection should have one (or more) of these.

?

Here’s a home front helmet that has just arrived, a black warden’s helmet made by Ro Co in 1943 with a MKIII chinstrap and in very good overall condition apart from a dry liner.

Oh and the liner is a 1943 dated size 7 by FFL.

Tony

Page 26 of 88 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 76 ... LastLast