Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 33 of 88 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 83 ... LastLast

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

Article about: To kick this of, my favorite mkII. Liner is Teddy Toy company and the shell is Joseph Sankey & Sons and both are dated 1940. The hand painted serial number matches one from the block of

?

My gosh there are so many cracking helmets on here... I have quite frankly given up liking each, otherwise I would be here till tomorrow morning,

Here is my SA example. It also has the cropped chinstrap lugs and is green on the inside. The lugs appear to be riveted rather than the split pins shown above.
    The liner is a later dated one. Shame anout the condition, however it came from Germany so I would love to know its story.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

SMP
    ?

That's another very nice SA camo ! Clearly seen combat use. I think you will find that the chinstrap is quite rare !

I bought this early Mk.II helmet around 25 years ago at a London fleamarket for £1,-. I was 9 years old and it was one of my first WW2 British items. I think it has been re-painted at least once; the original colour seems brown-green while the top layer is more grey-ish green. Most of the paint is worn completely smooth now but on the rim is still some original texturing (sand I assume).

I can't find any markings on the shell other a very tiny stamp on each of the chinstrap lugs that seem to be 'II' over '1938'. They are very hard to see and this pic is the best I could do. I would love to know the maker of the shell though. Chinstrap is the early type, I can't find any markings or remnants thereof.

The liner is a size 7 Mk.I dated 1939 and I think it could be original to the shell. Maker seems to be 'Helmets Ltd.'. I also found a stamp of what seems to be a Canadian Broad Arrow and the number '316' (click the pic for a better resolution). I thought all Canadian-made liners were made by Viceroy; could this helmet be supplied to the Canadians till they could start producing their own?

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

Any information or comments welcome!

SMP
    ?

I think you have a completely original army MKII there. The outer paint is an army non-reflective coating. The "C" mark is a British control mark, not a Canadian mark. Most (all ?) early British made liners have them.

Quote by SMP View Post
    I think you have a completely original army MKII there. The outer paint is an army non-reflective coating. The "C" mark is a British control mark, not a Canadian mark. Most (all ?) early British made liners have them.
    Great information, thanks! Would you happen to have any idea who could have made the shell?

SMP
    ?

Quote by earlymb View Post
    Great information, thanks! Would you happen to have any idea who could have made the shell?
    Impossible to say from the photos provided. There will be some markings on the shell even if they are very faint. Have close look in good light.

?

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours
    found this south wales border's helmet, interesting extra numbers stamped in the rim, 38 vero liner and 39 ec co shell

Thanks, I just did but nothing I can find and I don't want to remove the liner. Maybe the markings got filled with paint...

Quote by JohnF View Post
    mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours
    found this south wales border's helmet, interesting extra numbers stamped in the rim, 38 vero liner and 39 ec co shell
    Wow, what a great lid, I want it.....

Very nice find, I don't remember seeing another SWB decal on a lid, so cool.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

SMP
    ?

My latest - a 1941 MKII made by AMC. A really nice combat sleeper IMO. If only it could talk ! Europe ? N. Africa ? Med ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

Page 33 of 88 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 83 ... LastLast