Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 38 of 88 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 48 ... LastLast

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

Article about: To kick this of, my favorite mkII. Liner is Teddy Toy company and the shell is Joseph Sankey & Sons and both are dated 1940. The hand painted serial number matches one from the block of

'very nice helmet.....

Now here's 2 Home Fronters......but what are they??? LSC and SCC?

LSC is an unusual very smooth light grey, 3 holer (both sides), stamped "MS" to inner rear + MkII JCS&W 1940 liner

SCC has been over-painted black, stamped EC&Co Ltd and dated 1939 with a MkI 1939 VERO liner

'hoping that someone can help crack the code........

Merry Christmas!!!

?

Mk II flashed to the Polish Brigade in Exile... I know not a British/Canadian flashed example but as they fought with great distinction right along side Canadian,British,Australian and Americans and were part of the Commonwealth forces during the war and served in North Africa,Italy and the European Theatre of Operations...So IMO they as well have earned the right to be honourably mentioned in this thread... The helmet body was produced by EC&CO and has a nice textured finish and is sporting a 1941 dated JCS&W Ltd liner..

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

?

Very nice helmet indeed and the marking looks consistent
    to the shell condition and lining.

I guess these must be faked alot.

?

A rather nice 1941 dated C.L./C. sporting a lovely late war knotted and scrimmed Canadian two tone net the oilcloth ( America cloth ) is in three different shades dark brown,light brown and green and shown heavy use and wear...The paint on the exterior of helmet body is rather dull and very likely caused by long term movement of the net over the surface ...This example has that been there done that look I like so much in my helmets...

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

?

Quote by Ocad View Post
    Very nice helmet indeed and the marking looks consistent
    to the shell condition and lining.

I guess these must be faked alot.
    Thanx Oli I am happy with this example as a war time original and it came out of a good collection here in Canada a couple of years back ...And yes I see very few of what I would consider as original flashed examples offered up for sale in the marketplace...

Regards Mark

?

I thought I would share this rather interesting 1942 dated C.L/.C. that I recently added to my collection firstly it has a wonderful patina to the exterior of the helmet body and shows a good amount of wear that is indicative to a field worn example...
    It is sporting a hand painted flash that denotes that the Soldiers was at one time appointed to the Instructional Cadre the ( A I ) flash on the side of the Mk II denoted the wearer as an Assistant Instructor and very likely would have taught at a training centres, school or at a Battalion level in Canada and or perhaps abroad in Great Britain helmets sporting this particular flash are extremely rare and this is only the third example that I have ever seen and IMO would have been covered over and or the flash removed once the NCO/Officer fulfilled his duty and moved on to another posting...
    Of duel interest is the shrapnel strike and or bullet strike on the side of the helmet body ( I am of the opinion it is a shrapnel strike ) which at one time had been covered up on the inside with what I believe would have been medical tape which I can only speculate would have been added to keep out the elements
    It was suggested by the previous owner and a discussion on a different venue that perhaps after the soldier had finished his time as an instructor that he was indeed reassigned and would have simply covered the helmet with a net before shipping out to the Theatre of Operations...
    So many unanswered questions on this particular Mk II and one can only speculate as to how the damage happened but an interesting exercise for the mind...

Regards Mark

Firstly I'm sorry this isn't Military....or steel........but.........

...this one is different. A pulpware-style black helmet marked "INCIDENT OFFICER". As we know, IO's usually switched into their role by placing a blue cover or net over their otherwise marked helmets. That said I've seen blue steel helmets and black ones marked "IO"....but this one is a new one to me and my current thinking is that it was part of the Industrial ARP...perhaps used within a large company/factory ???

Either way, it's in near-new nick and the lamp/torch holder on the top (I'm assuming that's what it was for) just makes it even more special......and sadly, too high for shelving set at MkII height .....DOH!!!!!

...anyway, I like it.....

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

NCA
    ?

Very nice.The 'Cromwell protector' helmet.Like you say most likely factory use.

?

A new one for me, had my eye on it for a while and managed to work out a deal, apparently found at a flea market in Normandy, typical an engineer fitting out his helmet with the loops for either wire or string for some foliage (this technique appears in a british military published camouflage manual), the helmet appears to be 1941 dated on the brim and the shell has received a thick sand textured coat of green paint, has the painted canadian engineers flash to one side and possibly another (or div flash) on the other side that has been painted over. Appears to have suffered a shrapnel strike also
    mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

?

Quote by JohnF View Post
    A new one for me, had my eye on it for a while and managed to work out a deal, apparently found at a flea market in Normandy, typical an engineer fitting out his helmet with the loops for either wire or string for some foliage (this technique appears in a british military published camouflage manual), the helmet appears to be 1941 dated on the brim and the shell has received a thick sand textured coat of green paint, has the painted canadian engineers flash to one side and possibly another (or div flash) on the other side that has been painted over. Appears to have suffered a shrapnel strike also
    Now that is something a little bit different John I have seen a couple of Mk II's with wire incorporated around the circumference and used as camouflage bands they were held on with wire hooks around the rim though..

Regards Mark

Page 38 of 88 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 48 ... LastLast