Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 50 of 88 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 60 ... LastLast

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

Article about: To kick this of, my favorite mkII. Liner is Teddy Toy company and the shell is Joseph Sankey & Sons and both are dated 1940. The hand painted serial number matches one from the block of

My one and only MkII. Nothing fancy. Markings on the brim are difficult to make out, but I believe it's a BMB shell with a manufacture date of 1943. (Hard to make out the last number, but fairly certain that's what it is.) Liner is made by CCL, also dated 1943. I believe the 11 = November? Not sure what the large number is; the one partially obscured by the 'doughnut'.
    As opposed to the spring/elastic chinstraps seen on most helmets, it has a simpler webbing one. Camouflage is rough textured and very heavy. Across the crown, it has what looks like the remains of a second layer of paint, although I'm not entirely sure on that.
    Overall a decent textbook combat helmet. If I ever buy another of these, it'll be a Home Front one.

Regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

?

The 11 is for 2, being Mk2 liner, it looks like a 7 under the cruciform pad, this is for size.

?

a couple of subtle green Home Front lids, I assume M is Medic and P possibly Police, both General Steel Ware produced GSW and DP and H marked, notice these are devoid of the chinstrap rivets on the outside

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

?

Here is another khaki shade home front helmet, I found it back in the early 2000s in a junk shop in my home town for 8 quid, I regret selling it back then when I moved to canada but hey ho, I just dug out these old photos of it

I think possibly it belonged to a demolition team which were tasked with clearing firing ranges. That info came from a photo I found in a book back then, which I copied the caption, in the pic (my copy is not the best) the men have skull and cross bones painted on their helmets

those men belong to C company 66th West Yorkshire Battalion HG

Not 100% sure Demolition party, could be a coincidence

The net was original to the helmet and the markings were spray paint via stencil I believe

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

?

Quote by JohnF View Post
    a couple of subtle green Home Front lids, I assume M is Medic and P possibly Police, both General Steel Ware produced GSW and DP and H marked, notice these are devoid of the chinstrap rivets on the outside

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours
    From my understanding M is for messenger and P is for party.

Really?...that's interesting...what kind of "Party"...fire? rescue? repair?....Parties in the UK (Supplementary Fire Party, Repair Party, First Aid Party etc) always had more info....I'm intrigued.....

?

Quote by Composite View Post
    Really?...that's interesting...what kind of "Party"...fire? rescue? repair?....Parties in the UK (Supplementary Fire Party, Repair Party, First Aid Party etc) always had more info....I'm intrigued.....
    I must apologize, I tracked down the information and I misread, P is for police for Canadian DP&H helmets, M is for messenger. Doctors and medical staff used MO. Canadian markings were very simple compared to the UK. P police, F fire, W warden, U utilities, ARP (Air Raid Precautions) and CPC (Corps de Protection Civile in Quebec). After the war Canada changed to multiple colour and initials.

?

thanks for the additional info, what are you looking at there, sounds a good book

?

The information comes from a website and Mark was kind enough to link it in my rescue helmet post. Very good selection of information.

This helmet started out as a Shelter Warden (SW) and was then upgraded to District Warden.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

Page 50 of 88 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 60 ... LastLast