Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 57 of 88 FirstFirst ... 7 47 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 67 ... LastLast

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

Article about: To kick this of, my favorite mkII. Liner is Teddy Toy company and the shell is Joseph Sankey & Sons and both are dated 1940. The hand painted serial number matches one from the block of

Hello all,

bought this a few months back and had to drive to an old farmhouse to pick it up. It sports a flash and decal and both the helmet and liner are named. It’s always puzzled me though that the flash, which initially I took to be Royal Artillery is back-to-front from what I’ve seen of all the others, and the decal sports what I think is a Queens crown suggesting a post-war application. I can’t find another decal to match it either so any help would be appreciated. I’m thinking Royal Artillery but can’t find one similar.

The shell itself is a 1941 dated AMC and the liner is a 1940 dated CCL which is unfortunately missing its crown pad. The sand-textured paint appears well aged and has been applied right up to the flash and decal in both cases. It is named to ‘Downing’ but so far I’ve had no luck in tracing him.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, it’s a bit of a conundrum to me.

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours
    mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

SMP
    ?

Very rare helmet , Ian !

The crown is a Victoria crown, and represents the Queen's Own Oxfordshire Yeomanry ( Crown over VR ). I believe they were an Airborne anti-tank R.A. unit in WW2.
    Attached Images Attached Images mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours 

Thank you so much for your response mate, I’m really excited now. Your information gives me something to really sink my teeth into. If I can find out who Downing was and what became of him I’ll add the info here.

Many thanks,

Ian.

SMP
    ?

Look forward to hearing the results !

Wiki:

Second World War[edit]

When World War II loomed, the size of the Territorial Army was doubled, and the role of the QOOH changed again, merging with the Queen's Own Worcestershire Hussars and becoming the 53rd and 63rd (Worcestershire and Oxfordshire Yeomanry) Anti-Tank Regiments, Royal Artillery. The Kidderminster-based 53rd later became an air-landing regiment and dropped the Oxfordshire title, but the Oxford-based 63rd continued in the anti-tank role throughout the war.[24][25][26][27] This time there was no sudden order to join the front line action, and the regiment was detailed to perform home defence duties, at first in England, but then for three years in Northern Ireland. One Battery (251), however, was detached in 1941 and found itself part of the hastily assembled force sent to defend Singapore from the Japanese.[24]

Churchill then influenced the QOOH's history again. When the regiment saw others leave for the D-Day landings, they were anxious to join the action. The main part of the regiment had remained on second-line duties in Ireland and then back in England. However, Winston Churchill, though now Prime Minister, was still Honorary Colonel of the QOOH,[28] and in 1944 it was decided to make a personal appeal to him in the spirit of his famous intervention of 1914. Colonel John Thomson arranged to send this request via Frederick Smith, 2nd Earl of Birkenhead, Churchill's godson and a former QOOH officer. The effect was dramatic. By October 1944 the QOOH found themselves dispatched to France on the personal orders of the Prime Minister.[24]

?

Really nice, well done.

SMP
    ?

One thing further; his service number relates to the RA Coastal defence/anti-aircraft branch, so I guess that is where he started his service.

Once again SMP thanks for steering me in the right direction. I actually pay for Ancestry but find it infuriating to use sometimes. You think you could just type in a surname and service number and all the relevant info would just roll out but it’s not often the case.

Can I ask why decals are so unusual on MkII helmets? What lay behind some having them and the majority not?

Cheers, Ian

....a point of order.....being British Helmets, they wouldn’t have “decals” (US....and Airfix!)...these would be water slide transfers...... :-)

I stand corrected! Thank you

Another Wardens lid...do they ever stop?

This one has "P 55" on the front....this is either Chicken Fried Rice with Cashew Nuts or, from a different list, Post 55....which means of course that there's now another 54 "P"s to get before I have the set.....aaaaaaggggghhhhhh!!!!!

..and for those of you who like this stuff, the shell's too rusted to make out the manufacturer...the liner's by JCS&W (1938), it's got a MkI strap and the liner retention screw has a Whitworth thread

Keep 'em coming boys!

Page 57 of 88 FirstFirst ... 7 47 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 67 ... LastLast