Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 88 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 ... LastLast

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

Article about: To kick this of, my favorite mkII. Liner is Teddy Toy company and the shell is Joseph Sankey & Sons and both are dated 1940. The hand painted serial number matches one from the block of

?

Great thread, and judging by the number of contributions, in a short period, it's obviously been long overdue.

Here's my first addition, I think this is Home Guard, labeled to a F.W Smith, of Highams Park, London, E4. Shell is made by R O Co, date covered, the liner is a MkI, 1939 J.C.s & W Ltd

Some nice helmets on here, there was a mkII at a gun show I was at for $70 all complete and it had "QRIII" on the front. Should of bought it!

?

One more, Shell and liner made by BMB Ltd in 1939 (BMB still used the I above the date on the liner for both Mk I and Mk II liners for some reason).

Painted as I believe, a Head Fire Guard or Fire Guard Captain, with 3 horizontal black bands about 1/2" thick and F.G. front and back.
    What I like about this helmet is that under the white paint is a gray painted shell with a white band 1" wide back to front (this can be seen in the last picture) with W/FG underneath, this is likely to have been repainted when the Fire Guard was separated from the Wardens Service in 1943.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

I currently own three Polish forces marked MK.II's, but this is my fave. Posted elsewhere on the forum, so apologies for the repeat. Found in a kit bag that sat largely forgotten in a basement in the UK. I was lucky to keep everything intact as it was being readied to splitting up to sell piecemeal.

Much like kozowy1967’s fine example in post #25, the netting tends to hold its shape when removed, although not quite a rigidly as his net, and there’s a clearly visible ghost image attesting to having rested on it for many years. The chin strap is marked with the original owner’s initials.

I cannot discern the name of the shell’s maker. There’s a clearly visible “B”, preceded by what may be an “L” or a “D”, and then followed by what appears to be the year 1942. The upper half of the numeral “9” is visible, than a barely visible “4” and a clear “2”. Above all of this are what appears to be two “1” numerals. This is the best I could do with the camera outdoors:

The liner has been compressed with the ribs bent from many years in the kit bag, and I don’t dare try straightening them. But thankfully the maker marks are located on of of the the lesser bent ribs. G&S (Gimson & Slater).

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Bravo Tony a very nice Mk II not to mention the grouping I am extremely happy you were able to save it from being parted out that would have been a shame and a great loss IMO .

Regards Mark K

?

Nice helmets Tinhat, the chin strap lug is dated 1938,so your RO&Co shell will be dated 38/39. The Mk2 liner came out in early 1939, so the start of that year they would have been using up the vulcanised fibre head band supports that had already been stamped Mk1.
    Also nice to see a three bander, quite hard to find, & very nice also to see the markings underneath.Pre 1943 it might be a head or senior fire guard.

?

One of the best Mk1*'s out there
    Quote by SMP View Post
    A mki*

?

Beautiful helmets! Especially my favourite MkI*... Thanks for showing!

Below You'll find some of my helmets.

MkI (1916)

MkI (1917)

MkI (1917), reused by US police. I don't know why the stamp is blue and oval.

Piotrek

A few more of mine
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

1941 BMB shell with a 1940 BMB liner
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

Page 9 of 88 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 ... LastLast