Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

MKII paint schemes

Article about: I am new to the forums so I wanted to say hi to everyone. I collect WWII US stuff but have recently started to collect British WWII equipment as well. I obtained a MKII 1940 helmet and want

Mojo
    ?

Default MKII paint schemes

I am new to the forums so I wanted to say hi to everyone. I collect WWII US stuff but have recently started to collect British WWII equipment as well. I obtained a MKII 1940 helmet and want to refurb to new condition but I can't find any info on colors schemes. What colors were used and where and what years etc. Can anyone help with a link or good source of info,
    thanks, DR.

?

Default Re: MKII paint schemes

Hi,
    Unless your helmet is in really bad condition I would'nt touch it, have you any pics.
    Aaron

Mojo
    ?

No pics as yet, helmet was stripped of paint at some time and is for the most part bare. It does look as though there was brown paint? Was brown paint ever used?
    Amazing that there are no references for the british helmets, there is so much info on US and German helmets. This helmet says ROC 1940 with 'II' above. on the chin strap holder it has 'III' and 1940 if this helps.

?

?

Hi Mojo,
    The maker is RO&Co, Rubery Owen & Co Ltd, the II for mark 2 helmet. The III on the chin strap lug is to donate mark 3 chin strap lugs which were brought in early 1939. The original paint scheme would have been a semi gloss lightish green, but from 41-42 it could have been painted the matt gritty brown colour that all helmets were painted.
    The helmet with the net on has been painted on the outside with the later brown while the inside still has the early colour still on.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKII paint schemes   MKII paint schemes  

MKII paint schemes   MKII paint schemes