Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

MKII With surplus chinstrap mount/odd liner.

Article about: I've just received what seemed like a scrap MKII which I intended to refurbish for reenactment, and with all things I buy cheaply to not care about, this one turned out to be an oddity. It s

?

Default MKII With surplus chinstrap mount/odd liner.

I've just received what seemed like a scrap MKII which I intended to refurbish for reenactment, and with all things I buy cheaply to not care about, this one turned out to be an oddity. It seems to be an Army MK II, any signs of dating have worn away, it has an extra chinstrap attachment rivet on each side, and an unusual liner, with that bend in it, same on the opposite side. Wondering if I should still go trough with the refurbishment.

?

Default Re: MKII With surplus chinstrap mount/odd liner.

Everything looks fine to me, the bend on the liner happens quite often, it's just misshaped. The hole either side of the helmet makes me feel it's a Mk2 No.2 A, for civilian use only.
    Aaron

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Everything looks fine to me, the bend on the liner happens quite often, it's just misshaped. The hole either side of the helmet makes me feel it's a Mk2 No.2 A, for civilian use only.
    Aaron
    Am i correct in thinking the holes were to attach a leather neck protector?

?

Thanks for the info! A good candidate for refurbishment then? (picked it with the sole intent, as I need a Camo MKII for reenactment)

?

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    Am i correct in thinking the holes were to attach a leather neck protector?
    The South African mk2 had 3 holes at the rear of the helmet for a canvas neck protector that never got used.
    Post war Dutch helmets had a leather neck protector, but no Brit helmets had a nect protector that wad attached to the helmet.
    Aaron

Quote by tinlid View Post
    The South African mk2 had 3 holes at the rear of the helmet for a canvas neck protector that never got used.
    Post war Dutch helmets had a leather neck protector, but no Brit helmets had a nect protector that wad attached to the helmet.
    Aaron
    Interesting, i know the South African mk2 helmets had the 3 holes for a neck protector, but i was always under the impression that the civil defence and fire guard sometimes had leather neck protectors. You learn a new thing every day. Thanks for the info