Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MKIII (1944) HELMET from Ade!!

Article about: Morning gents, I just wanted to show you this great 1944 dated MKIII that our very own Adrian Stevenson passed on to me for a fantastic price. It has it's original dark rough texture finish,

Default MKIII (1944) HELMET from Ade!!

Morning gents, I just wanted to show you this great 1944 dated MKIII that our very own Adrian Stevenson passed on to me for a fantastic price. It has it's original dark rough texture finish, liner and chinstrap. As some of you may recall, my granddad was in the first wave on Sword beach on D-Day wearing one of these. As the postman walked up the, drive my granddad arrived to see us, he is now 91 and I took the opportunity to get him to pencil in his name, rank and number to the skirt of the helmet. Thanks again Ade, it is most appreciated! Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1 007.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	841233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1 006.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	841232  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1 005.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	841235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1 002.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	841234  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

Very nice.
    Chris

Nice helmet and a nice gesture with regards to your grandfather! --- I take it he did not keep his own?

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Nice helmet and a nice gesture with regards to your grandfather! --- I take it he did not keep his own?
    Unfortunately not, he did not keep any of his uniform or equipment, just his medals and memories. I do have his pay book and the report from when he was wounded though. Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

Ahh, I see --- well the main thing, of course, is that he got out of it alive Hope you don't mind me asking; was he wounded on Sword Beach?

A good pick up Leon and good to see your Gramps is still here.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Ahh, I see --- well the main thing, of course, is that he got out of it alive Hope you don't mind me asking; was he wounded on Sword Beach?
    He managed to get to D-Day+40 something before being wounded by mortar fire. I will dig out his paperwork later and find out the exact date but from what I can recall he was about 20-30 miles inland by this time. Leon.

Fantastic All-Around...These are the things that warm my heart...
    cheers, Glenn
    -Mehr sein als scheinen-

Very nice Leon and good to see your granddad is still here to tell his tales of the war

Matt

?

Nice lid & story.
    What were his thoughts on the new Mk3, compared with the old Mk2 that he was probably issued with first.
    I once did a display of WW2 items in my town, some of the soldiers who were in the war thought a Mk3 I had displayed was an American M1, they had never seen an Mk3 before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast