Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

more info/ID

Article about: Hey guys, im looking at a helmet at an antique shop here in the States. The label on the helmet says "WW2 American PAcific Area", i am a pretty new helmet collecter and that didnt

Default more info/ID

Hey guys, im looking at a helmet at an antique shop here in the States. The label on the helmet says "WW2 American PAcific Area", i am a pretty new helmet collecter and that didnt strike me right. After a little research it looks like its Canadian? due to the "G.S.W" marking on the inside, it does says 1942, but there is a small "A" that the liner cuts off. There is also lettering that says MK I, im assuming that means this is an MK I helmet.

any further information would be helpful, it is priced at $75 american dollars.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture more info/ID   more info/ID  

more info/ID   more info/ID  

more info/ID  

Default Re: more info/ID

Yes, it is Canadian. And even though it is stamped MkI, it is actually a MkII. Some people will say the securing bolt is installed wrong but it was common to see them installed this way...especially when a cover or net was on the helmet. My Grandfathers MkII has the bolt installed this way.

The price sounds ok...I have seen ones in worse condition sell higher. Does it have a chinstrap?

Dale

yess heres 3 more pictures, is the chinstrap correct? it appears to be greener than the liner
    sorry for the blur, i was using a 50mm lens, it only puts certain things in great clarity.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture more info/ID   more info/ID  

more info/ID  

?

Chinstrap may have had blanco applied which would give it a green tinge

Which is correct as Canadian webbing has a green tinge to it because of the blanco

?

It wasnt common practise to blanco chin straps ,mainly because its water soluable, and sweat would cause a real mess under the chin, webbing equipment is another matter and a means to bull the appearance of the uniform

The chinstrap is not correct for a war dated Canadian helmet. In fact, I have never seen anything like that one before. I will see if I can find a pic of the chinstraps used for these.

Here's a good pic of the four varieties seen on MkII's and III's.

?

Nice helmet, you just need to get the right chin strap
    mk1rceme what's the last chin strap that you showed.
    Aaron

wow thanks for the information! I new something about that chinstrap didnt feel right.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Nice helmet, you just need to get the right chin strap
    mk1rceme what's the last chin strap that you showed.
    Aaron
    It's one of those economy measure chinstraps. I have only seen pics of them in use on MkIII's so far.